86 I/O mercruiser cooling problem

waverider

Recruit
hello to all!! I've been reading a lot of info on the boards about cooling problems. Most of them seem to lead to changing the impeller. Now, our question....1986 mercruiser I/O motor, GM engine S/N A539386, 262 CID, 185 hp, V6, alpha one...When run in the water, no water seems to run through the engine, no noticeable water out the tell-tale, gets very hot very fast. Should we change the impeller first then go for the pump, or just change it all. Was not run at all last year, very little the year before. Where exactly is the tell-tale located on this particular motor? Not sure cuz we can't see any water!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to get out there and fish!! :D Thanks and have a great day!!

Trent

Captain
Re: 86 I/O mercruiser cooling problem

No tell tale. <br /><br />Drop the lower and change the impeller and housing. Also I would change the lower waterpump seals and shift shaft seal while your their if it has not been changed in awhile. They tend to leak if you have never changed it.<br /><br />This a freshwater boat?

waverider

Recruit
Re: 86 I/O mercruiser cooling problem

Yes, it's freshwater. In Vermont, so we're not near any salt. We bought an impeller kit, so all the seals and gaskets and housing are going to be changed at this very moment actually. Hopefully that will cure it. We just bought the boat on Friday, so we're pretty new to this whole boat thing. Thanks Trent. :)