7.5 mercury

VTB

Cadet
Hello guys, I'm needing some help with my 7.5 merc. serial # 5527216. In about 2 hours of trying it only hit 5 or 6 times and that was nothing but a quick pop of exhaust. I've got good compression, fresh fuel, and very good spark. When 12 footer says his will throw a spark a half inch in dry air I believe him. but she still will not fire. I've sprayed fuel into the carb and into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. I have an older 7.5 that runs fine so I changed out the carbs, still nothing. How can it not fire if it has fuel and spark? It is electric start and it's turning over fast enough that water is coming out of the tell tale hole. Any help is appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.5 mercury

Howdy, Whitecap.<br /><br />Check you reed assembly for bent or broken reeds or leaky gasket.<br /><br />Also you might have sheared the flywheel key, putting her way out of time.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

VTB

Cadet
Re: 7.5 mercury

Thanks for the reply JB. I dont even know where to look for the reed assembly so I guess its a little deep for this ole boy to jump into. It's people like me who keep the real mechanics in business. Thanks again.