trouble installing lower unit 35 merc o/b

Kelly

Recruit
Please help - I'm trying to install a lower unit on my 1966 35hp mercury outboard. I'm having trouble lining up the shifter shaft in the correct gear. I can't seem to get it in neutral. Again please help.

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trouble installing lower unit 35 merc o/b

I will try to help you. it will be a little difficult over the computer but we will give it a shot. on your unit you will see the shift rod on that shift rod there should be a cam on there. I take the cam off if you haven.t taken the cam off you might want to leave it on there but if you have taken it off you have to find neutral in the lower. this will fool you cause the lower will actually show 2 neuatrals if not found the right neautral you will never get it up there right the neautral you want is when you are turning the shift shaft it should hit gears going clockwise and counterclockwise in a very short distance of turn. if you keep turning the shift rod and it takes awhile to find a gear your in the wrong neautral. Now that you have established your gears put the boat in reverse. now your unit also has to be in reverse. I beleive from neautral gear turn very slightly counterclokwise and you will get reverse now on the cam I was talking about high point on that cam is reverse. your unit should be ready to put up on your boat. Now it will get pretty tricky trying to get the unit up there cause the shift rod coming from the motor itself and the shift shaft never seem to want to line up so as trying to put the unit up there and also lining the shift rod up with the shift shaft makes it hard. That is probaly why you can't find neutral cause of the shift rod and shift shaft aren't lining up. Good Luck<br /><br />------------------