2001 merc 60hp/bigfoot gear?

nckup

Recruit
I just bought a new 19' fisher boat with a 60 hp mercury engine the salesman charged me another 400.00 for this supposed bigfoot gear? is this for real or is this guy,just giving me a line, says it will push a 60 hp up to about 90hp. could use some information before I pick up the boat ,thanks.Nick

rogerwa

Commander
Re: 2001 merc 60hp/bigfoot gear?

There are others more knowledgable than I, but I think the bigfoot gearcase is suited to deliver more grunt for boats like pontoons. I do not think it would help you increase speed on a planing hull.<br /><br />I am assuming that the 19' fisher is an aluminum hull fishing boat?? If so, I do not think you would need the bigfoot.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Bigfoots have larger, heavy-duty gearcases for pushing heavy loads. 60=90? Sounds like some wacky dealer math. A Bigfoot on a planing hull doesn't make a lot of sense to me, either. :confused: Maybe he needs to move some slow inventory!

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 21 ft pontoon with a 60 Mariner non-bigfoot lower unit. I investigated the big foot and found that the gear ratio is 2.31:1 as opposed to 1.83:1 for the regular lower unit. Theory being that a bigfoot with a larger diameter/pitch prop turning fewer rpms is more effective on displacement hulls than the smaller prop turning higher rpms. My setup will ventilate (suck air into the prop) at max operating rpm (5000 to 5500) if the load on the prop increases due to wake or wind turbulence. I seldom operate at wot so it really doesn't bother me, but I think the bigfoot would help correct that problem. On a planing hull, I think that increased drag from the larger lower unit would offset any potential benefit of the big foot style lower unit.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto to all the above. What the dealer was probably trying to say was you will be able to use a 90 HP prop (diameter) on the 60 HP motor. The bigfoot is basically the larger motor gearcase mated to the 60 HP powerhead. You will actually have slightly less total power (but more torque) with the bigfoot setup. That's why slower, heavier boats use them.<br /><br />If the Fisher is very heavy, you will be underpowered with the 60 HP.<br /><br />And, if the Fisher is a light aluminum hull, you don't need the bigfoot. Stay with the regular motor, the props are cheaper too.