fuel tank capacity

seadancer

Recruit
I have a 19.5 Sea Nymph and I just changed out the VRA on my 70hp Evinrude. I need to know the full capacity of the built in fuel tank so I can add the proper oil to the tank. It is an l989 Fish and Ski. Can you help me out? seadancer

rottenray6402

Ensign
Re: fuel tank capacity

I have found it is much better to premix in a 6 gallon can and then pour or siphon it into the large built in tank. That way you are sure you are getting the proper mix and it will be mixed up really good. They sell the 6 gallon plastic jerry cans every where.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

As low as 18 gallons, as high as probably 40. Is there an access hatch somewhere that you can see the top of the tank? Most have a tag somewhere that identify the gallons. My 18 footer says 23.<br /><br />However...I agree with rottonray that mixing in the tank is generally not a good plan, it should be premixed, then dumped in. But if you're sitting right now with a partially filled tank of pure gasoline, I'd recommend just siphoning it all out and burning it in your car or something, then you can start over with an empty tank and start pre-mixing with proper ratio. If you guesstimate your in-tank amount wrong, your engine could suffer badly. A less ideal alternative # 2 would be to guess very conservatively and put too much oil in...a few fouled plugs and heavy smoke would be your only real risk. Still would be very difficult to get it stirred up properly in the tank.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Modern two-stroke oils mix very well by simply adding it to the tank and fueling normally. By the time you leave the filling station or marina its mixed very well. The size of the tank is not of importance. Add six gallons of fuel, followed by one pint of oil. Add six gallons, add one pint of oil, repeat until full. Simply knowing the size of tank does not tell you how much is currently in the tank and your fuel gauge is a useless instrument as most are terribly inaccurate.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Upinsmoke has nailed it but at some point you might want to know the actual capacity. Either call Sea Nymph or carry a spare tank and run the main out. Your fill-up will be the capacity.