Fast idle lever

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a brand new boat/merc 4-stroke motor. I live in Washington State, but bought the whole set-up in Arkansas...I know, several people have mentioned how tough it might be to get any service...<br /><br />The fast idle lever worked the first time I put it in the water, but hasn't worked the next 5 times. I'm afraid when it gets cold, my motor won't start and I'll be hunting ducks from the parking lot!<br /><br />The lever "appears" to move the cable under the hood?<br /><br />I realize all this is under warranty, but the closest dealer is 40 miles away, and according to him "they're booked for a couple of weeks".<br /><br />Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, when you talk to me about motors, it helps to use crayons, as I'm not real sharp in the mechanic area...<br /><br />Thanks!

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fast idle lever

BBogey<br /><br />What part of Washington are you in? Might be able to point you to someone who can help.<br /><br />****

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right in the heart of the state, Ellensburg! :) I'd really like finding a someone I could rely on, especially when I'm such a motor dork!<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />(I'm still working on the aluminum plate problem!)

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

If this is a 2001 or02 motor that warm up lever is a non issue. You are equiped with an automatic enrichener for cold starts.Reread your owners manual with particular attention to starting procedures.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hondon,<br /><br />I did re-read that section, and the way I read it is I start my motor with the lever down (closed/off) and then use it as needed?<br /><br />It is a 02EFI Hope I've got this right? :confused:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds right.Then give it some time to warm up before puttng the coals to her, or you will be disapointed if not stalled.Also ,have you installed a water separator as previously suggested?

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't even know what a "water separator" is? I'm open to anything that helps, and if it's fairly simple, I do have someone that can help me? Do I get one of these things anywhere? Ball park price? Specific to my motor/HP?<br /><br />THANKS for the help!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Water separators are simply an additional fuel filter that separates the water from your fuel by mostly gravity.All four strokes have very small passages that fuel must pass thru and are intolerant of most water intrusion and certainly a big slug of water being sucked into the vapor separator of your unit.You can get a kit at all marine stores an most likely at NAPA in your area .Price range for a cannister w.s.,kit about 45 bucks.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you! This weekend's project is hooking up the bilge pump and putting in the electrical shut down switch (all with the help of someone who has a clue, as opposed to me!)<br /><br />Now next weekend's project is a "Water seperator" :D <br /><br />Thanks again!