Which motor to buy??

Lucas Prijic

Recruit
Hi, I'm buying a 17 ft Lund fishing boat that will be used mainly for fishing in Wisconsin/Canadian lakes. Please help me decide which outboard motor to get:<br />(1) 2002, 70 HP Evenrude,4-Stroke, fuel injection.<br />(2) 2002, Mercury 90HP 4-Stroke.<br />(3) 2002, Yamaha 80HP, 4-Stroke, fuel injection.<br />Also, if you can give your opinion on any of these companies on their product reliability,service,etc. that would help too. Thanks!

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Which motor to buy??

I would pass on the Merc since it's carbed. And OMC is still a bit of a question mark in my mind as far as quality and warranty. I live in Southeast Alaska, and the motor of choice here (by a large margin) is Yamaha. It's very unusual to see a charter boat or serious sportfisherman with anything else. I think you'd be happiest with the Yammy. Just my 2 cents worth!

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If those are your only choices and assuming your boat's maximum outboard rating is 90 Hp get the merc. Max out your HP now or you may regret it later. Although the merc is carbed it's got a good reputation and it's essentially a Yamaha on the inside.<br />What is your boat rated for?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Lunker. Don't get a carbed engine, get EFI. That disqualifies both the Merc and the Yammy, which I think is carbureted. If the Yammy is injected, then it will weigh a good 70 or 80 pounds more than the Evinrude 70 EFI.<br /><br />If you have concerns about Bombardier service get a Suzuki DF70 EFI. It is the same engine as the 'Rude 70, which was built by Suzuki.<br /><br />I have a Suzi DF70 on my Boston Whaler 17 Montauk and it is a wonderful engine. I would have no reservations about buying it from Suzuki or Bombardier. <br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a simple solution to your dilemma. It's not on your list but to factor in the reliability and performance question and if maintained as per your owner's manual you should never have to visit your outboard mechanic if all goes well. <br />The answer to that is "Honda". <br />I think you'll agree J.B. there is no better 4-stroke on the market than a Honda , fuel injected or carbed.

JB

Sorry, Jacques, I don't agree. Hondas are very good engines, but a carbed Honda is not as good an engine as an EFI Suzi, nor is a carbed Yammy (also very good engines) as good as an EFI Suzi. Mercs are Yammys and 'Rudes are Suzis, too.<br /><br />At or above 115hp, they are all EFI and all too danged good to compare.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

MITCH WELCH

Seaman Apprentice

I don't pretend to be a big knowledge on the various outboards on the market - all I can do is speak of my own experiences. I've owned a Johnson (same as evinrude), Mercury, and a Yamaha. My carbed 150 Yamaha was, and still is, more problem free than both the Merecury and Johnson. My 150 Johnson Fast Strike spent more time in the shop than on the water (several VRO pumps went out, thrown mag. on flywheel, two power packs went out, blown heads). The Mercury was a little better, but not much. After four years of owning the Yamaha the only problem I've had, and that was very recently, was a clogged carb. Given my experiences I'll get another Yamaha as my next outboard. Just curious - why does everyone seem to hate the carb. engine so much? Mine always starts and runs great. I'm no engine mechanic as some people that frequent this board, but as a tournament fisherman I must be able to depend on the reliability of my outboard - and for me that means Yamaha. :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the advent of fuel injection in outboards lately most outboard manufacturers are moving to fuel injection in 4 strokes as well. Even in the smaller models.<br /><br />But as we've seen in the 2 stroke injected engines fuel injection isn't always a guarantee of reliabilty, example Ficht, Optimax, and some horror stories with Yamaha - HPDI.<br />I agree, a fuel injected engine by design is a better engine than a carbed one , but it's the overall reliability that counts the most.

JB

You need to get the sequence right, Jacques. Computer managed fuel injection has been around on four stroke engines for 20 years and more. If it hasn't been perfected it has arrived at VERY close. Computer management has transferred from autos to outboards seamlessly. The EFI Yammys, Hondas, Suzukis and their rebadged cousins are nearly bulletproof.<br /><br />Injection on 2 strokes is new and direct injection in the form of HPDI/Ficht/Optimax/etc. even newer. Neither is anywhere near perfection yet.<br /><br />On a 2 stroke engine, I'll still take carbs, (and premix) but on a 4 stroke EFI is not only much more reliable, it is more efficient and easier to use.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, if I was to make a decision on buying a new 2 stroke down the road I'd still take a chance on a fuel injection. I wouldn't go back to a carbed engine.<br /><br />Why? I'd get lousy resale value and I'd be polluting the envirnment. <br />But that's just me.

JB

Good reasons, Jacques, and as long as the oil injection system works, and the fuel injection system works you have a better engine. <br /><br />I just hear too many horror stories to trust them. . .yet.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)