Water freezing in outdrive?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
1994 Mercruiser 3.0 with alpha 1. Had the boat winterized by dealer a few weeks ago which I assume included filling the block with antifreeze. Went to pull the battery today and decided to lower outdrive for storage. Noticed when lowered that a small amount of water was leaking from outdrive. Should I be concerned about this? I wouldn't think it would be a problem but it get's real cold in NY. We haven't had a hard freeze yet but it's coming! Wish I was fishing with you guys down in Florida!

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water freezing in outdrive?

I wouldn't worry about it. Could have been rain water, in any case i don't think it's a big deal. As long as the block is covered, it'll be ok.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep the receipt or invoice from the work the dealer performed just to be on the safe side in the event you do encounter freeze damage. Also, my Merc manual recommends you store your outdrive in the "normal operating position" (down) to prolong the life of the bellows. Apparently, storing it in the raised position for a long period of time can cause the bellows to "set", which may result in premature failure when returned to the down position.<br /><br />Walt

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You need to store this equipment in the full down angle to keep rain water from puddleing up in the bearing carrier area of your gearcase and then freezing.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys, I can get the outdrive most of but not all the way down because the boat is stored on the trailer. Hope it's enough. Suppose I could put the trailer up on blocks or something. Anyway...thanks again for the replies. I don't post often but read just about everything...learned a lot!

rigerman

Recruit

BRG25. As stated in other post get get the drive down as low as possible. Here are other comments. The marinas around here that store boats outside will shrink wrap around the prop, nose cone and skeg to help keep water from sitting in the bearing carrier area. You could maybe have the marina do this? Do something similar yourself? Friends of mine don't cover their outdrives but make sure they are in the full down position. See you on Lake Ontario some time?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Doug. I think my boat sat out in the rain a couple times after I had it winterized. I also washed it down right before putting it in storage but I tried not to spray the outdrive. Anyway, the outdrive is as far down as I can get it now so I hope that enough water drained out when I did that. Guess I'll find out in the spring. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid. What would the worse case senario be if water froze in the bearing carrier area and how expensive would it be?<br /><br />Never been on Lake Ontario, this is my first boat and it's only 17'. It's been a great boat...lots of fun but it has it's limits. I tend to stay on the Finger Lakes. Thanks for the response...you guys are great!

oar master

Seaman Apprentice

i cover my outdrive with a heavy duty garbage bag. it keeps snow & ice away from the bellows etc. i also tape over the vents using duct tape.

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BRG25 I have only seen it once so I know it can happen water got into the carrier and froze and screwed the lower unit up. Now what we do is put shrink wrap tape over the prop to prevent any water from getting into the unit. Now you can use anything to cover that unit and what you do can only help not hurt. <br />Another suggestion is don't wait till it freezes and breaks before putting anything over the unit. I'm shure your like the rest of the people who is in here they don't want to wait a few weeks to get there boat repaired over a couple a min. job that anyone can do on there own<br /><br />Good luck1<br />Nick

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Nick, actually my boat is under cover now in a lean to behind my mother's garage so it should stay nice and dry. It just took me by surprise when I saw water leaking from the outdrive when I lowered it. Good ideas though, I'll definately keep them in mind because I might not have the luxury of storing my boat under cover in the future. Especially if (when) I get a larger boat :D Now I've got to find something to do for the next 5 months...maybe I'll buy a snomobile...LOL