How do I fix pits in the inside head of the cylinder

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercury 850 mid seventies serial numver 7033755<br /><br />Some images<br /> http://www.geocities.com/mercfix <br /><br />I guess the ring in cylinder number 2 broke apart and left bits of iteslf imbedded in the piston and the head. <br /><br />Remarkably the cylinder walls are relatively free of scoring. <br /><br />I have the following questions about what you can see in the images<br /><br />1- what can I do to repair the top of the cylinder that is pitted with bits of the ring?<br /><br />2- is the black staining on the side of the pistons a bad sign?<br /><br />3- Do I need to have the block washed in some sort of cleaning solution to clean any little bits of aluminum out?<br /><br />4- on the deflector part of the pistions (the one not pitted with bits of ring) is the uneven, lava rock looking surface normal?<br /><br />This model of powerhead, the head does not separate. The tops of the cylinders are closed and there is only access to the waterjacket from the spark plug side (top? back of boat? that side)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: How do I fix pits in the inside head of the cylinder

MercMark - The picture was not available.<br /><br />That motor has to come apart to do anything with it. Get a Merc shop manual if you do not alrady have one.<br /><br />I had a 80 years ago that let go. I decided not to repair it and donated it to a local Vo Tech school for a real nice charitable contribution.

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got it apart. The photos are of the cylinder and piston.<br /><br />Surely someone must know what needs to be done to clean up this cylinder... even if it's not mercury specific.<br /><br />I know I can use a wire brush on a drill to clean off carbon, but what about the pits from the bits of piston ring?

walleye1

Recruit

if u ask me i wouldnt touch em. youll end up just doing yourself more damage.. if ur reallly worried take it to someone who knows about stuff like this..