No Water Flow - 200 Evinrude

BoLin Too

Recruit
Hi Folks - Long story short ... <br /><br />Had a shop reseal the lower uit of my 1976 Evinrude 200 after I found H2O in the oil. Decided I could replace the H2O pump myself.<br /><br />Finally got everything back together and I when I run the motor with earmuffs, I get zero H2O out of the discharge holes on the upper exhaust housing. Tried running it for 2 or 3 seconds, then 5 secs, then 8 secs and finally 10 secs - didn't have the nerve to go any longer. (Even after 10 secs the motor is cool enough to put my hand on without buring.)<br /><br />Here's the deal ...<br />- I've now had the L/U on and off three times.<br />- The H2O pump appears to be installed properly with the impeller vanes pointing in the right direction.<br />- When I turn the drive shaft the impeller turns.<br />- When I put the earmuffs on the L/U off the motor, I do not get any H2O flow out of the H2O pump discharge.<br />- When I hook-up a hose to the H2O tube in the exhaust housing (L/U off) I do not get flow out of the exhaust holes. H2O does, however, seem to be coming out of the H2O tube about 15 or 16 inches up the housing and flowing back down to where the L/U would be.<br /><br />I kinda figure it's got to be one of four things ...<br />1) I screwed up the H2O pump install. :confused: <br />2) There is a blockage in the H2O jacket on the motor.<br />3) The H2O tube going to the power head is cracked.<br />4) This !%#&! motor has a thermostat that hasn't / can't open.<br /><br />If anybody can help I (and the Admiral) would greatly appreciate it.<br /><br />Bob<br /><br />FYI - the cooling H2O system seems to have worked flawlessly last year - 1st year I had the boat.)

Walker

Captain
Re: No Water Flow - 200 Evinrude

Hard to say whether you have a problem or not. Loose the muffs and run the motor in a barrel with the water line approx 3" above the cavitation plate. Keep your hand on the top of the head and see how hot it gets.

GLENN66

Recruit

HI,<br />I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM IN MARYLAND OR NOT, BUT IN ALABAMA, WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DIRT DOBBER, (MUD DOBBER)OR WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, NESTING IN THE PEE TUBES ON OUTBOARD MOTORS.<br />BE SURE THE DISCHARGE TUBE IS OPEN.<br />ALSO, I HAVE A 225 JOHNSON AND IT TAKES ANYWHERE FROM 15 TO 20 SECONDS BEFORE THE WATER COMES OUT THE PEE HOLE, BECAUSE THE BLOCK IS SO BIG AND IT TAKES A WHILE TO FILL.<br />A WATER PRESSURE GAUGE IS THE BEST THING.<br /><br />GOOD LUCK!

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

take it to the ramp and try it,more water to motor.