another missing model ID

steveu33

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />The model/serial number plate is missing from my Evinrude 15HP transom mount. I've read that I should look on the freeze plugs, but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place. On the top right of the block, there is a circular indentation almost quarter-sized... But it's blank. <br /><br />To my untrained eyes, it has a late 1970's look. The motor is 15HP, 2 cylinder, rope start, forward & reverse. The control panel has choke, slow speed adjustment, the pull rope, kill switch, and on the port side where the fuel comes in there's also an idle speed adjustment. I can mail pics to someone if that would help.<br /><br />What mixture do you think it takes? Why a slow speed AND an idle adjustment? The motor runs, but I would really like to get manuals for the day when it doesn't...<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Steve

steveu33

Recruit
Re: another missing model ID

I now think the motor is from the early '80's. I've gone through the BRP part catalogs and the picture of the motor cover that seems to be mine ran from '83 to '89.<br /><br />So, if I'm screwed on the exact year, can I still safely assume the mixture is 50:1?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: another missing model ID

Yes. As long as it's not in the 60's era, 50:1 will be fine.... Post a pic here and someone should be able to narrow it down...