Rectifier? J50 tleod50

heycods

Captain
I lost the tach while fishing, I found a short where the motor mounted tilt wires rubbed against one of the spring clips on the wireing harnace. Still not charging, and no tach. 12.2 VDC coming from battry, same voltage at 2 of the terminals on the buss bar. I cant read the color code on the wwires. the manual says to check the purple wire voltage,it is 12.2v asis the red wire and the red with purple tracer. Bad rectifier??? Is the ribbed aluminum rectangle block under the bussbar the rectifier. It has a # on it 6LT0A.???

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rectifier? J50 tleod50

Yes, that is the rectifier. Sounds like it could be the cause.<br /><br />Part # 585001<br /><br />themarinedoctor.com/testarec.htm<br /><br />(Or This may help you narrow it down, By Joe reeves)<br /><br />(Small Rectifier Test)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction. <br /><br />Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other. <br /><br />Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires. <br /><br />Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.<br /><br />--------------------<br />ReevesJ32@aol.com<br /><br />30+ Years With OMC

heycods

Captain

thanks rickdb1boat, it tested bad, when i pulled it off the back was pushed open. got to be shot. Gee the prices varry here, one place was $235 another was $117, looks like someone has a markup ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, the Sierra parts are about $115.00 on average. Nothing wrong with that, though...

heycods

Captain

What amp charging system is this????????thanks again. LWR

heycods

Captain

thanks again, till next break down, take a day of and get wet. :)