Procedure for adjusting shift cables

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice
I've just put a new LU on a 1973 '85 HP Johnson. While we were putting it on, we paid no attention to how far the shift rod connector was screwed onto the rod. After we had everything connected, we were able to shift into forward and reverse. When we put it in the water, we couldn't get reverse. <br /> My brother-in-law spun the shift rod connector instead of the adjusting wheels on the cable. Is there a procedure to adjusting the cable/connector, and does it matter whether the connector faces flat side forward or aft? Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Procedure for adjusting shift cables

Frank...see your previous post for the answer. I tried posting it before you posted this. Really need to keep these all together for clarity. The part of the connector that sticks up....faces forward.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You need to get the shift rod back in adjustment. The cable adjustment is just that, its a "cable" adjustment. I don't have that dimension in front of me at the moment.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ and Upinsmoke,<br />Thanks for the great responses. Once I get back down to the boat, I think that it'll be a matter of adjusting the length of the shift rod and then adjusting the cable. Wish me luck.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

Another question, please. Would it be easier/better to attach the LU in gear?<br />Thanks