Can I keep the boat in the water???

kyboatgirl

Cadet
Re: Can I keep the boat in the water???

waterone1, hmm.. i never heard of that before! but that sounds like a reasonable plan as well. i will definitely call around town and check that out! thanks! <br /><br />our next boat is definitely going to be too big to trailer, therefore we will eliminate this problem all together! hehe all i need is a much higher paying job. :)

mattttt25

Commander

i will never trailer a boat again. i docked my 20' and currently dock my 24'. a boat is made to be in the water, and the ease of going directly from work to the boat for an evening cruise or fish is awesome. when i come back at dark, just tie up and go. like i said, never will trailer again.<br /><br />i'd paint your bottom and be done with it. use a high end, ablative paint, and follow all prep required. you will only need to touch it up each year.<br /><br />make sure you have an automatic bilge pump and that it works. also make sure you have 2 batteries and a switch. leave one battery on at all times. if the bilge pump drains it over a few weeks, you'll have the second battery to start the engine and you won't ruin a planned trip.<br /><br />enjoy-

kyboatgirl

Cadet

mattttttttt,<br />that's what i like to hear. haha the husband has already installed a "house" battery and an automatic bilge pump. i was about worthless, as all i could do was keep him company while he did it! so that's not a problem..<br /><br />question about bottom painting then.. what kind of price range are we looking at? and i have also heard that bottom paint can get soft if you leave it in the water for a long time and then when you put it on the trailer, it peels it. is that true?<br /><br />thanks!

txswinner

Banned

Ky, Check the boats at the marina and see how the hulls look. Some lakes have lime that will destroy gelcoat if left for long periods, and others grow goodies. I have my bass boat in boat house with lift and can not imagine trailering unless going to another lake or tournament.

mattttt25

Commander

bilge pump is covered, so that's done.<br /><br />as for paint, you're looking at $120-180 gal for a high end, ablative paint. i prefer interlux, which is probably the most expensive. i would go with interlux micron csc (150) or micron extra (180). one gal will be fine.<br /><br />prep is the key. what i would do- get the slip and leave the boat in the water for a week or so (develops a nice water line for you). get it pulled and put on blocks. tape your water line. sand bottom with 80 or 100 grit. orbital sander is a must, but you only need to remove the shine from the gelcoat. should take you about 4-6 hrs. clean hull with interlux cleaner or mineral spirits to remove dust. put one real thick coat on (roller works great). let dry for 2-3 hrs and put second coat on keel and water line (and everywhere if you have enough paint). let dry for 12-24 hrs and launch.<br /><br />you will probably be able to go 2-3 years without fully repainting. i just touchup the water line and keel each year (quart of paint).<br /><br />good luck. trust me, once you slip your boat, you may even sell that trailer. At $300-500 a year for hauling/winter storage/relaunching, it almost makes sense.

p12

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone have any experience with this product?<br />Also, is it easy to get the boat off the trailer to paint/clean the bottom?<br /> <br /><br />Anti-fouling Wax

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Matttt wont it need a barrier coat first i thought gel coat was pourus and antifoul is certainly pourus so i was allways of the opinion that 1/ sand the hull as you advised then 2/ two coats of a waterproof barrier coat and 3/ your antifoul two coats remembering that the out drive needs to be done with a different antifoul one suitable for aluminium and that at least a one inch over lap onto the transom and that no hull anti foul come within 1 inch of the outdrive phew i think thats right<br /><br />Ewen