Small roughwater boats

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice
Hey i was wondering out of these several boats what would be considered the best boat/hull for rough ocean waters? one that can keep me dry and comfortable at the same time heh.<br />Trophy 1903 CC<br />Scout 185 CC <br />Keywest 186 CC<br />Mckee Craft 184 CC<br />Seaswirl 1851 DC<br />Pro-Line 19 CC<br />Edgewater 185 DC or CC<br />Aquasport 185 CC<br />Boston Whaler Dauntless 180 CC<br /><br />THanks! :eek:

rottenray6402

Ensign
Re: Small roughwater boats

The Boston Whaler is hard to beat for extreme conditions. That is what a lot of the Sheriffs departments use in bad water /weather.

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, if you can attach yourself to that boat, it aint sinking short of a ferry parking on it or something.

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice

really trophy #2?...i thought edgewater and scout boats were way better than trophy...im a lil new at this tho lol

JRJ

Commander

For comfort and dry, probably the DC's.

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice

I am lookin at DC's because they seem like they are more of a cruising boat rather than fishing but ive never driven one before which worries me about the right console driving and if you can stand up, etc. And the pictures of DC's seem to look like they have no bow flare which would enable water to come into the boat...

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Test drives! Find a dealer that will show you how they perform in different conditions.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The one following in the wake of a 50' Hatteras :D

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice

hmm...will all dealers let you test drive? and does it cost anything? lol

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Actually, "gf" did demo a bunch of these before buying his McKee. But I haven't seen him around here, mostly on THT.<br /><br />Kelly

mattttt25

Commander

Grady-White Sportsman 180 or Tournament 185<br /><br /> ;)

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those are all bay boats, not rough ocean water boats.<br /><br />HeadHunt

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

having spent a week.. bouncing-crashing-rocking-rolling (max speed about 7 knots cos i darnt go any faster) unable to stand up in the boat without hanging on for grim death to a grab rail in my little 20ft shallow vee hull cuddy cabin plastic boat.. english north sea moderate/light breeze conditions.. i recon u need a minimum 30ft.. deep vee hull boat for the sea in anything other than flat calm windless conditions.. he he<br /><br />it was an "experience" but i wouldnt say it was pleasant.. trying to anchor up and fish was a total impossibility.. back to the lakes and rivers for me i think.. or a bigger completely different hulled boat.. he he<br /><br />let me just say that my first experience at sea in my little plastic boat came as quite a surprize.. <br /><br />trog100

JRJ

Commander

How about a Pacific walk around cabin? :cool:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Seaswirlstriper:<br /> hmm...will all dealers let you test drive? and does it cost anything? lol
Not all, but most that have on water facilities have some demo boats or it can be arranged. There should be no charge.

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice

haha im not going to get a 30 ft boat bud (headhunt and trog) I have taken a 18 ft whaler out in 3-4 ft seas and im here to tell the story so i highly doubt that i need a 30 ft boat. and headhunt since these are all bay boast how bout suggesting some rough water ocean boats?

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Seaswirlstriper:<br /> haha im not going to get a 30 ft boat bud (headhunt and trog) I have taken a 18 ft whaler out in 3-4 ft seas and im here to tell the story so i highly doubt that i need a 30 ft boat. and headhunt since these are all bay boast how bout suggesting some rough water ocean boats?
There are a ton of ocean boats. The absolute minimum I would consider for "rough water" is a 23 footer but if that was what I was choosing for a criteria it would be a minimum of 25 feet. It all depends on your budget and your sea skills. An experienced salt water captain will feel comfortable in a smaller boat than an inexperienced one. There is no such thing as a "rough water" ocean boat in the 18-22 foot range. There are a few 21 foot deep v's but I would not take one out very far at all. I take my 19 foot bay boat up to five miles out but only with a very good forecast (1-2 foot seas), most times with a buddy boat, always with a float plan and always with all the necessary safety equipment (proper ditch bag, two VHF radios, signal flares, type 1 PFD's, strobe lights, whistles, etc.) Give us some more info. on your budget, skills and where you will be boating and I can make some intelligent recommendations.<br /><br />HeadHunt

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice

budget under 30k, skill...dunno how to really explain my skill lol. ive taken a 12 ft inflatable boat into 4-5 ft waves with a crew of 2 others and no one fell off...that might be skill heh. Ill be boating in the ocean about 100 miles North of Cape Cod. The waves here on a GOOD day can get up to 2 ft, and when the winds are coming from the SW....well the white caps start coming and the waves are 3-4 ft easy. A couple essentials to my next boat would be, preferably unsinkable(just in case, Dry (So i can keep my crew/family nice and comfortable), Speed, and hull endurance. I dont really mind getting pounded in by waves everytime we go off them but if the hull cant take the abuse its no good.