JOHNSON 70 HP STARTING PROBLEM

cpjohnson70

Cadet
I have a johnson 70HP around (1977-1980). I recently put my boat in the water but I have a hard time starting it. This is my first time putting the boat in the water this year. I have changed my spark plugs, and the lower gear unit oil. I don't know why It took me more than an hour to manually started my motor with a pulling rope. Somehow I cannot start it with my ignition key. I just bought a brand new battery with 1000 MCA. After the motor manually started, I have no trouble starting it with my key. Can you please let me know what seems to be the problem? What action to I have to take to fix this problem? Can you please help me with this problem. <br /><br />I think I have a bad starter or the battery required more CCA. But if I have a bad starter, then how come after I manually started the motor, I can use my key to start the motor. Please, please, please, Help me. I really appreciate for your time and your kindness.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: JOHNSON 70 HP STARTING PROBLEM

Hi, Jimmy.<br /><br />Welcome aboard. :) <br /><br />Go to the Engine FAQs and do the starting circuit troubleshooting in "Outboard wont start".<br /><br />Let us know what you find. My guess is that the ground cable bolted to the steel bypass cover is not making good contact.

cpjohnson70

Cadet

JB,<br /><br />I really appreciate your time for helping me! I will look into that.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />JP

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Next time you try to start it and it does that, tap lightly on the starter with a screwdriver handle and see if it goes... Worth a shot. Starter might have a small bad spot in it and once it starts, it moves enough to get by it. Might try the same thing on the selonoid, too.. Does it click or anything when you try to start it??? Also, are you using the choke when you try to start it cold??

cpjohnson70

Cadet

JB,<br /><br />I am sorry to bother you, I am new at this. Can you please tell me how to go to: <br /><br />Engine FAQs and do the starting circuit troubleshooting in "Outboard wont start"<br /><br />I don't know where to locate.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />JP

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Jimmy, <br /><br />If the FAQ FAQ doesn't help you, the symptoms that you are describing indicate that you are not getting choke for cold starting, which is absolutely necessary.<br /><br />Have someone hit the choke switch at the control while you look down the throats and assure yourself that the plates are closing 100%.

cpjohnson70

Cadet

Rick,<br /><br />I have use the choke. I have read some of the question posting on this forum and did the following:<br /><br />1. I pump the gas as hard as I can<br />2. Push in my key to choke and count to 8 <br />3. Release the key <br />4. Start

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You must push the key in WHILE starting. <br /><br />If your motor is 1980 or earlier and stock, you have a mechanical choke with a solenoid. Pushing the key in does nothing but close the plate. <br /><br />When you crank the motor, vacuum does the rest. So, to work, you must choke (push in) while cranking.<br /><br />BTW, never assume that a battery is charged because it is new.

cpjohnson70

Cadet

Rick,<br /><br />I tap on top of the starter where the abendix is and the gears engaged but the engine still not start. It just rotate slowly. What is this mean. bad starter? or bad solenoid? or need to lubricate abendix spiral. Please help me with this. <br /><br />JP

cpjohnson70

Cadet

All of the advices you guys gave me is very important to me and I will try all of them to see which one do the job. I will keep all you guys posted when I found out what the problem is. Thank you very much all you guys and wish you guys best of luck on everythings.<br /><br />Thank you, thank you, thank you,<br /><br />JP

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could be bad starter, battery, connections or solenoid.<br />If it's a new battery and it started easily with the key after running I'd take a guess that your starter is in trouble.<br />Try jumping from the battery positive terminal to the starter positive terminal and see if the starter spins faster.<br />Do this with heavy duty cables and be careful.<br />Ground all 3 plus if you don't want it to start.

flips

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What voodoo posted is the way to go try it.<br />My guess is starter is rooted but solenoid will suck power if not right.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Jimmy, your cold start procedure should be:<br /><br />1. pump primer bulb until hard<br />2. lift high-idle lever all the way up<br />3. push and hold the key in while turning until engine starts<br /><br />A warm engine takes much less energy to start than a cold one, which explains why it started with the key after you warmed it up.<br /><br />But that won't fix your problem of the starter not spinning.<br /><br />First, make sure the battery is fully charged by checking it with a multimeter or hydrometer. You can get either or both of these tools at an auto parts store. Fully charged is 12.6 volts or more.<br /><br />Next, remove, clean, and reattach all the cable connections from battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter.<br /><br />Then, if the bendix engages the flywheel, but the starter still only turns the engine slowly, it's probably the starter. <br /><br />But you can rule out the solenoid using voodoo's advice - get a heavy gauge wire, put clamps on either end, connect one end of your wire to the solenoid post where the battery cable is connected, and touch the other to the starter post. Be careful not to touch the other end to the engine block or the starter case - you'll get a shower of sparks.<br /><br />If the starter still spins fast like it should, replace the solenoid. Otherwise, the Seloc manual has good instructions for rebuilding that starter - I took mine apart, cleaned out all the carbon dust, put it back together w/no new parts - 3 years later still works fine.