Trim/Tilt Seals and O-rings

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it possible to replace teh trim/tilt seals and o-rings in a 1977 evinrude trim/tilt? Model # 115793S. Where can I find them? :confused:

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim/Tilt Seals and O-rings

Try Dixie Marine. Web site had kits for older 80's or 90's units. Not sure about yours.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep...ain't hard Flathead. I think the hardest part is getting the darn cylinder head lose. If you don't have a spanner wrench, it can be difficult.<br /><br />The oring kit part number is 174520....you'll need one for each cylinder. You might look around and get a service manual to take you through the steps and how to take the trim cylinder apart.<br /><br />John/Rude dealers can get you the kits. Or you can shop around and find an aftermarket kit. I've always used OEM. Don't know what comes or doesn't come with the aftermarkets. OEMs will cost you about $15 each.<br /><br />Is there a particular reason you need to rebuild yours?

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replys. OBJ my tilt cylinder is leaking I think? The trim cylinder is dry but the tilt is wet/oily? The trim/tilt works fine with no problems, but now want to do the preventitive maint to prevent break down. I asked the boat shop guy about the repair kits and he went off about I would have to buy a new or used on ebay. I tilt the motor up fully then remove the top screw to check the level right? If low is this like the gear oil and pumps from bottom to top? I have the manual will look it up. The kit # 174520 is that the OMC kit part #?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Use trim and tilt fluid Flathead. You can get it nearly at all dealers. Yes, check the level with the engine tilted all the way up. If you need to add fluid, cycle the engine up and down 3 or 4 times and then recheck.<br /><br />The PN is a BRP part number and they are still available....just did mine a few weeks ago. You don't need to get another cylinder. Tell the boat shop guy to get educated..... :)

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will do! Does the power trim/tilt fluid go in from bottom hole like the lower unit or vice versa? Any special fillers needed? Would you know the part # by chance? Do I get the o-ring kit #0172575 and some other or is there one "KIT"? <br /><br />Will not ask the boat shop guy anymore technical questions. :cool: <br /><br />Thanks again

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just one big screw plug on the side of the TNT reservoir. Just squirt it in till it comes back out.....messsy. The one kit will give you all you need for one cylinder.<br /><br />Just keep in mind that the trim cylinder (the port cylinder) has the trim sender on it. You'll see it cause it's got a wire attached to it. You'll have to remove this before you pull the pistion out. The plastic part on the outside is octegon or something like that....looks like a bolt head.....and will screw out. Behind it is a spring and ball bearing. DON'T LOSE THESE! Make sure you catch them when the come flying out at you.<br /><br />OH....no filters.

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is that the right kit part # you mention above?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Wait a minute.......<br /><br />Yeah...the part number your listing (172575) was superceded by the PN I posted 174520. BRP PN's.

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will get that PN and Gitter Done! :D

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice

hey Flathead hunter, let me know where you found the o-rings. I have a 1975 Johnson 135 w/ TNT and I need to replace the o-rings as well. Would be nice to pick some up local.

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class

fseventy I found them at a local shop. (well at least they have one kit right now and will have more in aprox a week). :D My 115 is on a 1976 Ranger 175-A Bass boat. Also a tri-hull :cool: <br /><br />This shop will work on older motors and stocks old motor parts. <br />Loyds Marine Incorporated <br />6720 E Main St<br />Mesa, AZ 85205<br />(480) 832-0722