1955 EVINRUDE 15HP TURNS OVER HARD

Bruce N

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 1955 Fastwin 15 hp which ran ok last season. Now when I pull starter cord it is almost impossible to turn over. When I remove plugs it is a bit better, but still not as free as it probably should be. Might the gears, or some part of the lower assembly be a bit frozen?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 EVINRUDE 15HP TURNS OVER HARD

Have you checked the lower unit Bruce? Drain the lube and see what it looks like.<br /><br />Have any problems when you put it away last season.....anything?<br /><br />At the very least, drop the lower unit and see if it pulls any easier.

joaklay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drain the lower unit but I doubt that it's the lower unit and have experienced that before. If any water got into the powerhead when tilted up, say a bad shifter shaft seal, that could add rust to the piston rings and cylinder walls. A bad head gasket would also do that.<br /> Remove the plugs, spray alot of penetrating oil into the cylinders, turn the engine over and let it sit overnight. If it then turns over normally, that's what's happened. Besides fixing the root cause (seal or gasket), fogging the engine in fall would be a good idea.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good to here someone else has a '55 15hp. agree with both posts. they are very hard to kill.

Bruce N

Seaman Apprentice

Read someplace (here?) that manual starter could also be problem. Removed starter just to check, found rewind sprong broken.<br /><br />When I turn flywheel I hear a squeaking noise- water pump impeller?<br /><br />Decided to replace starter spring, water pump impeller, and all associated gaskets and o-rings. Where can I get these parts, or at least find the part numbers? I do have model (15014) and serial number. Any handy hints re replacing this stuff, especially rewind spring?<br /><br />Tashasdaddy- good to have you encouraging comments re: niceness or motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mine is the most reiable motor in my fleet of 5,

joaklay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For parts, try Dan Gano: <br /><br />ganotech.com<br /><br />No links Oakly....referels are OK. Mod2.<br /><br /> A water pump impeller is made out of rubber so I doubt that's causing your noise.