Removing lower unit

Kevin Witkowski

Recruit
Evinrude 1998 115 HP. What needs to be done to loosen the linkage under the carberators? It is almost impossible to get at. Does the 1/4 inch bolt need to be loosened or removed? Once the lower unit is dropped, how difficult is it to get back on?<br />Thanks!

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing lower unit

I just did that on a 90 HP should be the same. Yes that bolt needs to be removed, I use a 1/4 drive 12" extention w/ a swivel socket. You will have to be fairly dexterus to install it, but it's not too hard. I put a dab of grease on the bolt head to hold it in the socket, tape around the flex so it don't flop around too much, & start it without the ratchet to make sure you don't cross thread it. You don't want to cross thread that. Good Luck, Joe

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I think the 98' 115 has a pin you pull out on the starboard side of the shift lever shaft. Then you push the shaft toward the port side. This opens the shift lever to release the shift rod. It helps if you disconnect the shift cable to do this.

ob

Admiral

OBJ's got it.Your engine shift rod has a two piece coupler that separates once you disconnect the shift arm and remove the hitch pin.This allows you to thrust the shift arm thus separating the coupler from the rod.The small bolt you see does not need to be removed.Once you have it separated you'll be able to see how it works.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're at...<br /><br />I've got two Johnson's that need new waterpumps a 79' 50hp seahorse and a 87' 60hp. Do these have the pins or the bolt on the bottom carbs.<br /><br />thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The 79' will have a bolt to remove from the shift lever. This will be on the starboard side of the shift lever, below and behind the lower carb.<br /><br />The 87' should have a hitch pin like the 115 in the thread.