'82 9.9 Johnny Possible Repair Issues

Kev

Seaman
I'm considering replacing my old '58 7.5 Johnny with an '82 9.9 model.<br /><br />I know the '82 has a powerpack and CD ignition, whereas my '58 is coils, condensers, and points. Is this a valuable improvement?<br /><br />What are the common repair problems with the 80's vintage 9.9s? What should I look for in assessing the condition of the motor?<br /><br />Is the 80's 9.9 a good, reliable motor in your experience?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Kev

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '82 9.9 Johnny Possible Repair Issues

buy the ebay part and fix the 7.5. or i would go much newer. bob

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That would be a hard call! That 7.5 is hard to beat if in good condition, but that 9.9 has much more power, even with a slight differece in rating. It is an entirely different engine, from the gearcase up.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the price, I would consider it. I work on a ton of these engines every year and they still amaze me in the amount of abuse they can take and keep running.<br /><br />Problems on them are common to all engines that are run and have very little preventive maint done to them.<br /><br />Good compression, spark and a good lower unit are the things I would look at.....compression and lower unit being the key points.<br /><br />Are they a good reliable engine?....yes.

Kev

Seaman

Asking price is $550 for the '82 9.9, which includes a new water pump, rebuilt carb, and tune-up within the last two weeks.<br /><br />The price seems a bit high to me, but I am in the LA -area where good used outboards seem somewhat rare and expensive.<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Kev

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Round my neck of the woods....that engine wouldn't be for sale anymore.......it'd be bought by now...... :) But that's here and not sunny Cal. Best thing to do is hear it run...maybe even take a test "drive".....see how it handles through the throttle range.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Check the price of the new engine's in that HP range.

Kev

Seaman

Thanks to all for the input! I guess used outboards are worth more than I thought. I may have to check out the 9.9.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

On Ebay the 9.5 engines from '63 to '73 hardly ever go for less than $500.If all the maintenance that you say has really been done,then $550 is almost like highway robbery.On the other hand,a well maintained good looking '57 7.5 usually goes for about that much too.

Kev

Seaman

Picked up the 9.9 Johnny. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!<br /><br />Was actually a 1980 model but good condition. Included completely rebuilt carb, totally new water pump kit, new plugs, and lower unit oil, all done by an apparently knowledgeable mechanic. We even got the mechanic's invoice.<br /><br />This motor screams! Fully planes our 14 ft. wood/fiberglass boat with two people on board! Seems to use very little gas as well.<br /><br />The 9.9 is easily twice as strong as our '58 7.5. The bigger, three-bladed prop and more torque seem to make a big difference.<br /><br />Thanks again to the forum!<br />Kev