squealing sound at High speed, and starter question

didineedthat

Cadet
1984 25 hp Johnson Seahorse,, at High speed the engine makes kind of a squealing sound or chirping sound. I have owned this motor for about 3 1/2 years and it has always made this sound. Any ideas? Also recently the starter has been whirling but then it works like normal. the teeth on the starter seem to be worn...when I push the start button it will work like normal but then sometimes it just makes a funny whirling sound but does not engaged but will works second try or third try. Any ideas? I just replaced the positive cable going to starter and solenoid. The cable was soft and broke. The motor seems to work great otherwise.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: squealing sound at High speed, and starter question

My fist thought is a gearcase problem, what does the oil look like? If you had a bad battery lead, the starter would act like that.

didineedthat

Cadet

What makes you think gearcase problem? I changed the gear oil about 12 hours ago. I even put the washers in, which they were not there when I change orginally. I will check. Am I looking for something in particular. I will check the leads to make sure.<br />Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's hard to tell by the way you discribe the noise. I have heard a high pitched whine come from a gearcase that has been sprung, and running with a bind. To me, this is the most noticeable when standing on the shore. Can you hear this noise at all speeds,or just full throttle?

didineedthat

Cadet

At Full throttle, if I back down just slightly it will quiet down and not be noticeable.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Something has to be rubbing some where. If not in the gearcase, pull the flywheel, and check for contact there. Is that starter disengaging after the engine starts?

didineedthat

Cadet

I will check all the things that you pointed out in the next couple of day and post my results. Thanks

didineedthat

Cadet

Actually the sound, sounds more like a fast chirping sound like metal rubbing on metal at Full throttle. More I think about it, it's probably something to do with the starter. Also it sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor.

didineedthat

Cadet

I went to take a look and discovered the starter bracket front fastener broke off and laying at the bottom of the motor tray. Must have been a alot of pressure to break that off. Found also another piece of metal, not sure what it might be yet. The cyler book does not show all the bolts for the bracket that holds starter and solenoid. the bracket on the right side of motor near the solenoid has a hole for another bolt similar to the one that broke off, but no bolt in the hole. NOt sure if one is suppose to be their, but the bolt that broke off screwed in there. I am going to have to back out the bolt that broke off. Another thing to buy. I am assuming that if the bracket is loose I would only know if I watch the starter start the motor. Is there an adapter for the water hose for the water intake so I do not have to put into tank? Well back to the drawing board. Looking for a diagram of the all the bolts and where they are suppose to be. The started motor also looks like it been their for awhile, it is the only thing that does not look new.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Does you engine by chance have a damaged prop? That can give an engine quite a shaking. That starter is quite heavy for it's size, and of course is bolted off to the side of the engine.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar sound coming from my motor that was driving me mad. It would just happen at a certain rpm. I checked and double checked everything. I found out what it was when I sat by the motor with the cover off while someone else drove the boat at that rpm range.<br /><br />Turned out to be the bendix on the starter motor vibtating at a certainfrequency when the engine was as the said rpm. I don't fully understand how it works but certain things vibrate at certain frequencies, or something like that.

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Resonance?

didineedthat

Cadet

The prop seems to be okay. Thanks for the info on the bendix. Still not sure what what broke the bolt unless it was loose as goose to begin with and I just never notice it. I think though with all the bolts in their proper place and tighten it should not have happen just a guess.

didineedthat

Cadet

It seems that the bolts that hold the starter frame to powerhead were either missing or broke. I did fix this problem and the guess what the problems went away. Then I took to the river all was fine until later I went to start, push the button and it just spinned. Read another post about the same problem and fix the problem. All is well at this time, Thanks to all and all until next time.

cooperjd

Cadet

you said your starter just spun and never engaged your flywheel. i am sometimes having the same problem, can you tell me where you read a fix for it? thanks. right now i just take my pliers and stop the gear from spinning as i push the start button for a split second, causing it to rise and catch.