Engine won't restart after its been running

Herb 1954

Cadet
Hi<br />I Have a 2000 8hp Johnson model # J8RSS The engine starts fine when cold, After running for a while and turning off the motor if you pull rope right a way it will start up but if it sits for a few minutes it will take 4 or 5 pulls to start again sometimes, it will not start at all. I am getting good spark even when it won't start, have tried switching tanks, drained carb, cleaned filter screen, and changed plugs also seems like its getting steadly worse Got me baffeled Please help its one of my rentals<br />Herb

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Engine won't restart after its been running

It sounds like you have a lean condition in the idle circuit. Does the engine have a low speed needle adjustment. Also! the throttle pick-up may be out of sync. Will it start if you choke it when it's warm?

Herb 1954

Cadet

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> It sounds like you have a lean condition in the idle circuit. Does the engine have a low speed needle adjustment. Also! the throttle pick-up may be out of sync. Will it start if you choke it when it's warm?

Herb 1954

Cadet

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> It sounds like you have a lean condition in the idle circuit. Does the engine have a low speed needle adjustment. Also! the throttle pick-up may be out of sync. Will it start if you choke it when it's warm?
Messed with needle adjustment Dosent seem to change. Pulling out choke dosent change either

Herb 1954

Cadet

Messed with needle adjustment Dosent seem to change. Pulling out choke dosent change either

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like float is too high and is flooding.

Herb 1954

Cadet

how do you adjust the float and what would cause it to get to high

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turn upside-down,raise float lightly,when it closes needle valve,the float will be level with carb.body.Blow in inlet with your mouth,to be sure it is shutting off fuel flow while the float and carb,body are parallel.Turn it back up right and make sure it is not rubbing anywhere.Im not sure this is the problem.Just something else to check on top of what everybody else has said.

Herb 1954

Cadet

Took carb off this morning, Float seems like its working fine. Motor does seem like its running rich though, and seems like it loads up at times. There is only 1 adjustment screw on this carb would that be to adjust the lean/rich mixture? Could you tell me what the proper adjustment is or any other ideas.<br />Thanks