Points question, but- 1992 40hp evinrude!!!

SN75AKE

Cadet
evinrude 40hp 1992- Engine is real clean, had it rebuilt about 2 yrs ago. Vro quit working and caused some damage (removed that feature) just mix oil in tank now. Ran great until a couple of months ago. Now at full throttle you can run all day at about 10mph. Got a little bit of white smoke, doesnt miss, or overheat. Checked fuel lines for obstruction, replaced inline fuel filter, put in new plugs and reset throttle assembly. Found lower plug to have a little light brown fowling on it and oily residue dripping out of plug hole. Carbs are opening up completely. Gonna check the fuel pump screen and rebuild the carbs, any other suggistion on what it might be.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Points question, but- 1992 40hp evinrude!!!

Are you saying that its only running on the top cylinder?

SN75AKE

Cadet

I have fire @ both spark plugs, I dont know how to check if its running on only the top cylinder, it may be sicne it seems to have about half its normal power. Clymer manual says by the look of my plug to check low speed carb adj, induction manifold bleed off passage ( where is this bleed off passage?) and worn or defective breaker points(under stator?) I took the carbs apart and they looked real clean. Coulndnt find a screen n my fuel pump. Running out of ideas. Could it be a defective thermostat? lot of questions I know but I need help, pease.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Take a timing light out with you and check each plug wire with the timing light. If one isn't firing at WOT, you found the problem.

fireman57

Captain

You say that you have some white smoke, are you sure that you didn't blow the head gasket?

SN75AKE

Cadet

OBJ, what does WOT stand for, I will check the plugs this eveing. Fireman57, how can I check the head gaskets integrity, should i do a press test? Still need to know where the induction manifold bleed off passage is.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You should not have any leakage out of the plug hole, the plugs should be torgued to 240 In/Lbs to compress the seal ring. If you are see'ing white smoke, you are probably looking at water ingestion, such as a leaking head gasket, or a exhaust manifold gasket. WOT, is wide open throttle. The bleed off passage is a part of the recirculatin system. That whould show up at idle, not cause the problem you are having. You have to start at the basic's with this engine. Spark, compression, fuel.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

WOT means....Wide open throttle. You always want to know you have even compression on all cylinders before you even start makeing adjustments to carbs or timeing.<br /><br />If compression is not within a 10% range, then makeing adjustments to get an engine to idele and run smoothly is just about useless.<br /><br />Good luck!

SN75AKE

Cadet

After I do a compression check,if it is the head gasket that needs to be replaced is that the power head gasket that my clymer manual refers to? Secondly if the VRO has been removed should my mix be 25:1 or 50:1. Thanks

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

50 to 1....One pint of tw3 oil to 6 gallons of 87 octane gas. Yes to power head gasket.<br /><br />Good luck!

fireman57

Captain

Sorry erude 40 I was gone for a while. What all above said about the head gasket. You might look for a plug to be perfectly clean which would indicate that water has breached that cylinder but by then the damage could be done. It's not a tough job pulling the top off and having a look see. While it is off make sure that you visually inspect the cylinders, pistons, and rings the best you can. Spend the few dollars for a new head gasket and don't ever try to reuse the old one. I agree with GOB and you might do a compression check first.

SN75AKE

Cadet

got 125 and 130psi on compression test, was going to check plugs w/ timing gun at WOT to see if im loosing spark there but didnt have my gun handy, will do that tomarrow. Think im gonna replace plug wires as well, already changed plugs themselves. Checked the plugs against the motor while holding then w/ a pair of insulated pliars and got a spark but it looked kinda weak. Thinking either the plug wire or the power pack may be bad. wires to power pack have been spliced cause they had nearly been worn in two by the throttle armature. QUESTION does this motor have ignition coils and if so how many. Is my exhaust suppost to discharge water, and since my compression test went well does this insure the integrity of my power head gasket and such? Thanks a bunch, Jake

SN75AKE

Cadet

Good morning everyone, just waiting on some feedback, Thanks, Jake

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Your compression sounds good. So head gasket is not leaking. They can sometimes leak water to a cylinder and still have good compression.<br /><br />You should run a spark test to see if it will jump a 1/2 inch gap. Yes you have a coil to each plug.<br /><br />You can buy spark tester from auto parts place. Spark should be snappy blue spark, good sound.<br /><br />Once you get your spark good and strong. I would also check link and sync.<br /><br />Yes you are suposed to have water in the exaust thru prop.<br /><br />Your should also check to see if lower unit is not leaking water.<br /><br /> Oil should be changed if you haven recently. If oil is milky looking then it has water in it.<br /><br /> You will need to put new 0 rings on the fill and drain screws and retest for water intrusion.<br /><br />Those screws have to be really tight, all the force you can apply with large screwdriver.<br /><br />Good luck!

SN75AKE

Cadet

GOB, Preciate dat n fo. One mo question ifa ya dont mind. Does this motor have points and where would they be located.