Purchasing A New Boat... What is a fair Price?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br /><br />I am going to be purchasing a New boat.<br /><br />Here's the Specs:<br /><br />2004 Lowe Fish & Ski FS175 w/ 90HP 2-Stroke - $12,299 (Price includes Dealer Prep & Dest.)<br />- 90 HP 4-Stroke (Upgrade $2,008)<br />- Swim Platform & Ladder (Option $350)<br />- Bow Cushions & combing Pads (Option $480)<br />- Fish/Depth Finder (Option $200)<br />- Swing Away Trailer Tongue (Option $150)<br /><br />The dealer quoted me Out the door @ $16,758<br /><br />OR<br /><br />2005 Lowe Fish & Ski FS175 w/ 90HP 2-Stroke - $15,299 (Price includes Dealer Prep & Dest.)<br />- 90 HP 4-Stroke (Upgrade $2,008)<br />- Swim Platform & Ladder (Option $350)<br />- Bow Cushions & combing Pads (Option $480)<br />- Fish/Depth Finder (Option $200)<br />- Swing Away Trailer Tongue (Option $150)<br /><br />The dealer quoted me Out the door @ $19,758<br /><br /><br />So basically they are giving me $3000 off the 2004 vs the 2005. No discounts on any of the options.<br /><br /><br />FYI: Lowe lists the 2005 Fish & Ski FS175 w/ 90HP 2-stroke for $17,324 MSRP + Dealer Prep & Destination + Tax & Lic.<br /><br />Does either of those prices sound fair? It looks like they are discounting about $2000-$2500(ish) w/Dealer prep & dest. off the MSRP. <br /><br />How much can be negotiated? If boat dealers are like car dealers, I know there is extra margin because they assume you will negotiate, and I don't want to be the 1 person that pays full price, but i don't want to do like some and try to completely screw the dealer either.<br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br /><br />-TheChad

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Purchasing A New Boat... What is a fair Price?

Can you see any difference at all between the 2004 and the 2005 boat? They're probably virtually identical.<br /><br />As for bargaining, you can always bargain. I'm sure the dealer is eager to see the 2004 boat out of his yard, so you might be able to wangle a bit better deal on that one, but it all depends on the dealer and his mood that day.<br /><br />Don't worry too much about the dealer's feelings. He's heard it all before. It is much like dealing on a car. But, I'd guess the bargaining point is going to be on the base boat/motor price, not the options, since those are no doubt identical items, regardless of year.<br /><br />Right now, it seems like the boat dealers are a bit frantic, at least in Minnesota. Bad weather has slowed down sales. You might parley that into another $2000 or so on the 2004. Again, it all depends on the state of the dealer's finances at the moment.<br /><br />Best of luck!

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

On some other Brand's we looked at, you are absolutly correct, there was no difference between 2004, and 2005.<br /><br />On this model though, Lowe used Double Rivets on all their model's untill 2005. The 2005 model's are all welded hulls. Personally I'd rather have welded, I've heard Rivits leak. But if the price is right, it has a lifetime warentee, so I can deal with it.<br /><br />The dealers around here have all been very open saying that this has been a good sales year for them. The weather has been really nice here.<br /><br />Are you better to try and get them to throw in some of the accessories, or to just work on the price tag itself?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Most dealers will respond to competition. Also start negotiating with DealerNumber2, even though you are not thrilled with the boat offered by DealerNumber2. The idea is to use the price offered by DealerNumber2 as a hammer to get DealerNumber1 to negotiate lower. Here is another thread on new boat deals - Negotiating price on a new boat? <br /><br />Kelly Cook

CATransplant

Admiral

Going from riveted to welded IS a big change, for sure. That said, there are a heckuva lot of riveted boats out there on the water. I don't know Lowe's reputation, though.<br /><br />I don't think they're going to 'throw in' the accessories, frankly. They have to pay for them. I'd work on the total price of the package. Mention the rivet thing to them...contrasting it with the "hot" new model. <br /><br />It's a game, really. They want your money. They want to unload a 2004 boat and get it off their inventory. I'll bet they'll knock a bit more off on that 2004.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you think getting the 2005 model for the 2004 Model ($16,758) price is pushing it, or unfeasible?<br /><br />The wife is happy with the $16,758 price, but I'd rather have the welded hull. So if we were to get the 2005 for the 2004 price, it would be a deal all around for us.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

CATransplant

Admiral

I doubt that they'll do it, but it's worth a shot, I guess. Actually, if you make that offer, they might just knock the 2004 down a bit more to entice you to get it out of the yard.<br /><br />Or, they might just bite and ask for your check. You'll never know unless you try.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since it looks like they have already discounted the price from MSRP, should that be taken into consideration? Or should I just be working on what they are asking for it?<br /><br />-TheChad

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Work on the total price.next question,how long are you planning on keeping the boat?Forever,which is never!Resale of the 2005 would be much better due to not being rivet.Lowes does make a pretty good boat.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

prockvoan:<br /><br />We really do plan on keeping this boat till it sinks or other wise wears out.<br /><br />I see us atleast keeping this boat for about 10 years. I can't really see us selling it before then.<br /><br />-TheChad

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> Going from riveted to welded IS a big change, for sure. That said, there are a heckuva lot of riveted boats out there on the water. I don't know Lowe's reputation, though.<br /><br />I don't think they're going to 'throw in' the accessories, frankly. They have to pay for them. I'd work on the total price of the package. Mention the rivet thing to them...contrasting it with the "hot" new model. <br /><br />It's a game, really. They want your money. They want to unload a 2004 boat and get it off their inventory. I'll bet they'll knock a bit more off on that 2004.
Are Rivited boats a bad thing? Is it true they will leak, its only a matter of time?<br /><br />I know i've rented several boats of course those rental boats are beat to hell and back, and of course they are just cheap jon boats, but i've rented many of rivited boats, many had serious rivit rattle, none really leaked.<br /><br />Are welded boats stronger?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The rivets vs weld debate has been running for a long time. Here is another thread that thrashes through this - aluminum riveted boat ? <br /><br />Kelly

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes you negotiate like with cars but there are some big differences.<br /><br />Retail markup on new boats is usually higher than for cars, obviously due to the volumes involved. So theoretically you have more room to negotiate, but one of your problems is that the wholesale cost to the dealer is usually a carefully guarded secret, as well as the amount the dealer needs to clear to make a reasonable profit. For cars, this data is very public and you can go into an auto dealer armed with a lot more information to help you get a deal.<br /><br />The other thing (and this is no different from cars) is that they make a lot of money on add-ons. They will keep the margin on the base boat low and make their money on the options/upgrades. So anyone who is selling options at MSRP is probably making a ton even if the base boat proce seems discounted reasonably.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I went in to the dealer, and tried to negotiate $3000 of the total price tag, with all the accessories (Before tax, lic, etc).<br /><br />The Dealer said "We don't sell boats below our cost, and that would be less then what we pay for the boat"<br /><br />From reading all the above posts the boat price was a little over $18,000 before Tax, lic, etc. So 30% of $18,000 is $5,400. If that's the markup on the boat & Accessories, then asking for $3000 off, doesn't sound like too much to ask.<br /><br />So am i asking too much to get $3000 of the asking price?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind that the 30% figure is for expensive fiberglass boats that have a lot of high ticket options piled on. Which is why those dealers have the room to deal. With a more modest boat that room for the dealer shrinks a lot. I still think it's better to pit 2 dealers against each other than try for some calculated discount figure.<br /><br />Kelly

S.Lee

Seaman Apprentice

Being new to boating, I am not sure about the mark-up, but I can say for certainty when it comes to snowmobiles and atv's that there is very little margain on a new purchase. The money is in the accessories and the service work.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> Is that the 2004 or 2005 boat?
This was the 2005.<br /><br />-TheChad

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KCook:<br /> Keep in mind that the 30% figure is for expensive fiberglass boats that have a lot of high ticket options piled on. Which is why those dealers have the room to deal. With a more modest boat that room for the dealer shrinks a lot. I still think it's better to pit 2 dealers against each other than try for some calculated discount figure.<br /><br />Kelly
This is an Aluminum boat. (Though there are quite a few Fiberglass boats in the same price range)<br /><br />I understand though that $20,000 for a boat is on the bottom end of boating...<br /><br />I got quotes from 3 different dealers. All were about the same within about $500-$1000.<br /><br />-TheChad

D

DJ

I'll happily pay a dealer a profit. Otherwise, he/she wouldn't be there to support me if I have a problem.<br /><br />It's called "business" and "free market trade".<br /><br />Be careful who you deal with, I appreciate a good service department a heck of allot more than purchase price.