1975 evinrude 115 V4 only 1 cylinder runing?

bigcat33

Cadet
Hello, looking for any help on this. My 1975 rude 115 V4 is only running on the top left cylinder. This is gonna be kinda long but for you guys to better under stand whats been going on, let me explain. I have been painstakingly restoring my 1975 Renken bowrider for the past year and a half. Before last month, the last time it was in the water was OCT 03 and has been garaged most of the time. Got everything done and started the motor, ran kinda rough, but started pretty good. Decided to use some de-carb and followed the directions to a T, a lot of goo came out and smoked at first, but ran great after that (in the driveway). Took her out for the first time, started good(fresh gas and oil 50:1 mix) Only problem waas slow power when put in gear (hesitation) and noticed when she did get to WOT she would surge some, didn't think anything of it. Second trip out, started good, but took about 5 tries to get here in gear without dying, finnaly got going, only noticible problem was surging. Third trip, never left dock, would die everytime I put her in gear, got to ckecking things out before I left the water. Now would not start with out being choked (even when warmed up)Once I took the choke off she would run for approx 10 seconds and die, could tell fuel was not being sucked threw fuel pump. Got home refered to SELOC manual, said surging was sign of bad fuel pump so I changed the pump with a new OMC part, thought and hoped that this would fix the problem. Well it sort of did, no the motor (once started) would run with the choke off but still die in a low idle or while being put in gear everytime. She sounded smooth though. Decieded to do some troubleshooting to make sure all 4 cyl. were fireing. Started pulling plug wire while running to see if they all were good (should here a change) . Pulled top right #1 = nothing happened, pulled bottom right =nothing, pulled top left = engine died out. Replaced top left plug, and restarted motor, went to bottom left plug and = nothing? Pulled all plugs for inspection, (plugs were pretty new) had a lot of oil and grim on them so I bought new ones and installed. hoping that this would solve the mystery? Also checked to make sure all plugs were firing (they were). The coils on this motor were also new. Next step, hard starting still, once running same senario, would run but not at low idle, or in gear. Pulled plugs agin to inspect, top left had signs of combustion, all others just some un-burnt fuel mix on them. Did a generic compression check, thumb over plug hole while turining over to feel compression on all 4, Sorry for this being so long, I just wanted to get all the info to you, and not leave anything out - PLEASE HELP I'm at my whits end!!! Thanks BIGCAT33

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 evinrude 115 V4 only 1 cylinder runing?

Welcome to iboats Bigcat!<br /><br />Couple things we must determine first.....good compression and spark. The "generic" method really doesn't tell you how much compression you have. A good compression tester can be gotten at any NAPA store. Naturally the higher the compression the better but the reading should be within 10 to 15% of each other.<br /><br />The spark to each cylinder should jump at least a 7/16" gap with a strong hot thick spark. A spark tester can be made easily....check the link below...this one was made by Boatbouy...pretty neat.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=032627#000018 <br /><br />Another way to check spark...cut the head off a 10 penny nail. Stick it into the end of the spark plug wire and hold the point end of the nail about 7/16" from a clean engine ground. Have someone crank the engine. If you have good spark, you will see it. Check the spark on all cylinders.<br /><br />No spark on two or more cylinders usually means the power pack has died. Your post read that you have changed out the ignition coils so you can rule them out. Another possibility is the timer base. This tells the pack when to fire for a particular cylinder.<br /><br />If you are serious about getting the engine to run right, get an OEM service manual. It will give you specific info on your particular engine. Search up Ken Cook Co., outboardwizard or marine.com. They all sell reprints of the original OEM manuals.<br /><br />Stay in touch with your troubleshooting progress.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Usually a V4 won't run on one cylinder.So OBJ is correct,more testing is needed.If three of the new plugs were 'clean',either no spark or no fuel.<br /><br />When you pulled the plug leads when running,could you hear the snap of the spark jumping ?If yes,probably a fuel problem.If no,look at the spark.<br /><br />While the timer base/sensor is an assembled unit,you can 'tweak' it a bit by loosening the phillips screws and moving the sensors in towards the crankshaft.<br /><br />DHP

bigcat33

Cadet

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted. I will be doing a compression check this week and a spark plug check. I ordered a rebuild kit/s for the carb anyway. I have the SELOC manual, is this not a very good manual? <br />Thanks again<br />BIGCAT33

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The Seloc and Clymers are good for General repairs but because they cover so many models, they can be hard to understand or may not carry the info needed. OEM manuals on the other hand carry complete info on your specific engine. That's why they are the preferred service manual. You can search up Ken Cook co., marine.com or the outboardwizard....all sell the reprints.

bigcat33

Cadet

Can you guys tell me what a good compression is for this motor? Just so I have a gauge to go by, thanks again.

bigcat33

Cadet

Well, finnaly got my compression guage today and did the check. Good news there, read 130 on all cylinders, so that makes me feel better! I have the carburator of and its been soaked and cleaned, should have the rebuild kit tommorow so I can start getting her back together. <br /><br />Now that the compression is is good, the carbs will be spotless, looked at the reed valves they all looked good, I have a feeling that my problem might be electrical, just a hunch.<br /><br />I will post a reply once I get the carbs back on and charged the battery back up.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />BIGCAT33