swamping at shut down

txswinner

Banned
I have a 1991 Ranger V364 with 175 Johnson. When slowing and coming to stop have tremedous amount of water coming over transome and into boat. I realize slowing down more slowly helps but this seems to be an unusual amount of water over the transome. Help

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: swamping at shut down

Try slowing down slowly instead of putting the trottle into neutral fast. Slowing down slowly help with the water displacement from the prop wash or wake catching up and not swamping your boat due to low transom height.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Is the rear of the boat sitting lower in the water? You may be carrying hidden water weight. Check bilge for water, check floatation foam for water saturation, move weight in the boat towards the bow.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Pulling a quick u-turn as you stop is a dirty trick that may help, but not address the root cause. boat is likely too low in the water for one reason or another.

D

DJ

tx,<br /><br />Backing off the throttle quickly, in a boat, (especially a bass boat) is NOT the recommended mode of operation. You'll get just what you're getting. The boat is NOT like a car, where you can back off the throttle and then hit the brakes-which transfers weight forward. A steady/sure hand on the throttle is the order of the day. Plan ahead.<br /><br />Bass boats tend to be stern heavy. Many times with a large engine that is set back which only aggrevates the situation.<br /><br />You may want to look into where your gear is stored. Put as much of it, as possible, forward.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

What DJ said. Rangers are big stern heavy boats. Standard procedure for stopping is slow down slowly and just before wake catches up to you give it a little gas to get ahead of it and let it die out. A bit of a pain but normal for older bass boats.

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

Trim tabs, and especially smart tabs should help this. Smart tabs more so as they adjust automatically with speed. I noticed with mine after I installed as you slow down your bow stays down, and doesnt rise and settle the stern in the water right away with the loss of speed. Up course you will get some wash, thats physics, the depression creaeted by your prop driving water out of the way needs to get filled when it goes away and this will crate a wave.<br /><br />With your boat attitude more level you should have less problem with swamping.

LubeDude

Admiral

Mahoney is correct, there should be Smart Tabs on all Bass Boats. Not only will it take care of the smamping, (It sure did mine), Honestly, you can completly cut the throtle, and the boat will come to a hault and the stern will rise as it slows down with no back wash. you will jump on plane, and it will simply eradicate any chinewalking situation. You can stay on plane at near 15 MPH. Your boat will handle like a Porsche. Sound to good to be true??? Well, this is one time that it is not.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I never saw a bass boat that wouldn't do that, except at the boat show skeeter was showing off a new hull design, and had a video of the driver throwing the kill switch at full throttle - the boat just glided to a stop, no backwash at all.

D

DJ

except at the boat show skeeter was showing off a new hull design, and had a video of the driver throwing the kill switch at full throttle - the boat just glided to a stop, no backwash at all.<br />
That scenario can be accomplished with almost any hull, as long as:<br /><br />1. You're not "ham handed" at the throttle.<br /><br />2. The engine is trimmed up.<br /><br />3. The engine is in nuetral. Being in gear throws a HUGE brake on, at the back of the boat.

Marauderk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOl you take my fisher marine out and drop from full throttle your going to get wet it will wash over and swamp the boat lol. but i have tried everything to change it and hav just gotten used to slowly slowing down or dropping it in neutral when i throttle back

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think its common in bass boats. Mine does it. Just gotta stop slowly. Only time I swamp mine now is when I run out of fuel and gotta switch tanks.

txswinner

Banned

Thanks, first bass boats after many large boats etc. Will learn even as old old dog.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

this is one of the side benefits of Smart Tabs or Mobster Tabs. As the boat slows down and comes off plane the tabs automatically deploy down to keep the stern up and stop level. No Back Wash.

Marauderk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My brothers bass boat has alot of wash over on it and it's been like that from the day he bought it new and the dealer said it was normal

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

I would equate that to a car dealer sayiing flat tires are normal because they are only flat on one side. It may be common but that does not make it acceptable.