1998 Ficht - one for the expert out there

xyourobob175

Cadet
This is deep so hang in there. I have had the engine since last year. It has had the FFI Enhancement update kit.<br />The engine overheats consistantly. I changed the water pump twice (both times with ugraded water pump & two different mechanics). I changed the gauge & engine sensor. I changed the thermostats and thermostat springs. I removed all gear from transom and tested boat. Same problem!<br /><br />The boat runs like a champ without the thermostats in. High rpms the engine temp stays between 160-170 degrees. I would prefer to run the engine with the thermostats in place and I believe it's healthier for the engine.<br /><br />Whats my next step other than ditching the engine? Any experts out there?<br /><br />Model #J175FSXECS<br />Serial#04500671<br />xyourobob@comcast.net

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Ficht - one for the expert out there

You cant be getting enough water. Without T-stats you should be running ice cold. maybe 100 degrees tops. How about a powerhead gasket, or a seal at the base of the powerhead. Flow diverters in the cylinder block. or o-rings(head gaskets). have you ever flushed it?(from the fitting)

xyourobob175

Cadet

She does run ice cold. The gauge doesn't go anywhere until I have it wide open. I have flushed from the fitting. Sounds like your telling me the next step is to take the heads off, is this correct?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What number factory water pump kit did you install?<br /><br />There are 2 different kits that look almost identical, and if you mix them up, the motor will overheat.<br /><br />That motor should be propped to run about 5500 rpm with a normal load, originally they said around 5300. If it is overpropped, the motor will overheat.<br /><br />Has a mechanic determined the cylinder block temperature with an infrared temp gun or TempStix, or are you relying on the dash mounted gauge?<br /><br />Does the motor HOT LITE come on, the horn blow, and the motor slow down to about 2500?

xyourobob175

Cadet

I don't have the number for the water pump handy but I'm 100% sure it's the correct one. The two different pumps were discussed in length. If I'm correct, the retro pump has additional pin holes in it. <br />Wide open the boat runs at about 5200rpms.<br />The engine goes into S.L.O.W. mode when it overheats (bells, whistles , hot lite and moves very slow).<br />Last night I put the new t-stat springs in and ran it until it was about to go into slow mode (overheat). I shut the engine down and removed the T-stats. On one side the T-stat was open and the other side it was closed. This tells me the side it was closed indicates that the water pressure had taken that t-stat out of it's seat and flooded the engine with water as it should. The other t-stat being still open indicates it never left it's seat and thats the side where the problem exists. <br />I really expected more responses than what I got??<br />Someone PLEASE help me.<br />Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The correct pump does NOT have any bleed holes in it if the motor is a 25" shaft model !!!!!!!!

xyourobob175

Cadet

HUH? How do I determine if I have a 25" shaft model?

Dunaruna

Admiral

The 'X' in your model number denotes 25".<br /><br />Aldo

xyourobob175

Cadet

I called my mechanic, he told me the first new water pump I had installed was really only just the impeller being renewed, the housing had no bleed holes. He replaced the entire water pump with the housing having bleed holes. He said it didn't work with either water pump?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What is the complete model number of your motor?

xyourobob175

Cadet

??????? Anyone else want a crack at this. Your suggestions would be helpful

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When the warning goes off what is the temp on the starboard bank? The port bank?

xyourobob175

Cadet

sorry for the delay. I replaced the water pump with the water pump that belongs in there. Before reassembling with new pump I blow air through the engine as well as water. There does not appear to be any obstruction. I don't see any signs of leakage from the power head gasket? I check the water pump connecting plastic pipe and rubber seal and all appears good. I replaced the rubber seals for the exhaust connector as they were falling apart. I put the thermostats back in with the springs. She idles at 160 degrees. At full throttle the gauge max's out (above 220 degrees) but she does not overheat and runs like a top. I take her out crabbing the next day for 4 hours and she idles the whole time at 160 degrees. I take her out the next day for another 4 hours and she idles at 220+ degrees according to the gauge and never overheats. I took her out tonight and again the gauge reads 220 degrees the whole time and she does overheat but does not go into SLOW mode. I let her sit for 10 minutes, power her up and idle into port. Here we are a year later and I still have the same problem. With the thermostats she overheats and without she runs too cold but perfect. Where are all the ficht geniuses?<br />One more thought. It's happened some many times intermitantly that I almost believe I know when it's gonna overheat. The motor almost sounds like she starves for water at the lower end, kind of a bogging noise.

clanton

Rear Admiral

First I would not beleive anything the temp gauge indicated. You must verify the engine temp with a temp stick or temp gun.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

Whats the reads when you hook up a water pressure gauge..

xyourobob175

Cadet

I have not done that yet Muskrat. My mechanic is coming over Saturday morning. We're gonna hook a laptop up to it and get the codes. He's also bringing his temperature gun and a timing light gun. I'll let you know what happens

xyourobob175

Cadet

I have a new mechanic on the scene. He's confident one of the head gaskets is blown and is gong to replace them. Will also look for other gremlins while he has the heads off.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You do know that your motor does NOT have head gaskets, right? It uses o-rings.

xyourobob175

Cadet

Well I was not aware of that, however my mechanic was. I picked the boat yesterday. I can see that he replaced at least one heads rings (orange gasket sealer visable only on one side, the other side had black sealer) He said he replaced both and did not see any blown rings or blockages. The engine now idles at 160 degrees, but gauge still maxes out in wide open throttle and she overheated (alarm/slow mode) at the latter part of the day. So I took the t-stats out again. Whats left to do?