Fuel pump bogging down 67' evinrude?

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a 1967 sportfour (details below) that i replaced the vacuum line to my fuel pump with a clear gas rated hose, so i could se if there was fuild going through. i dicovered smaller white puffs cruisen through when i ran it and am wondering if this may be the cause of my probs. looking at the front of the motor, I have to choke the left barrel (which as i understand feeds the right bank) to stop it from bogging down at WOT, if this diaphram were broken and there was gas being sucked into that barral (#4) then would the choking that barrel make sence? either way it's being fixed but am not sure if this is the cause of poor performance or if there could be a intake leak somwhere. <br />What do you folks think?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel pump bogging down 67' evinrude?

If the fuel pump diaphram was leaking, you would see fuel being pumped out of that fitting when you pump the fuel primer bulb.<br /><br />Choking one barrel of that two barrel carb is the clue. The brass high speed jet in that carburetor is restricted, clogged, fouled.<br /><br />Remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustments - Older V/4 Downdraft Carb)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />NOTE: The early model downdraft carburetors incorporated "Adjustable High Speed Jets". The later model downdraft carburetors used "Fixed High Speed Jets". Follow the below instructions accordingly. If you do not have adjustable high speed jets, ignore those paragraphs pertaining to same.<br /><br />Lift the center High Speed Control lever and turn it so that the point faces forward, resting on the high ridge. This will disengage the lever control gear from the individual high speed jets (slots). Have the slow speed needle valve knobs installed upside down so that they can be turned without encountering any obstruction.<br /><br />Gently seat each of the High Speed needle valves, then back each one out one (1) turn. Gently seat each of the Slow Speed needle valves, then back each one out one and one half (1-1/2) turns. NOTE... have the jam nut on the s/speed needles snug so that viberation won't have any effect on them, but loose enough so that you can turn them without a great amout of effort.<br /><br />(High Speed)<br />With a reliable person at the wheel, and one kneeling in front of the engine, start the engine (yes, it will run lousy with the above initial needle valve settings), put it into forward gear, and apply full throttle. Start with the High Speed adjustment on the left using a screwdrive that properly fits the slot.<br /><br />(High Speed Adjustments)<br />At full throttle, with the proper size screwdriver, slowly start turning one of the H/S needles in segments of 1/8 turn, waiting momentarily for the engine to respond, then repeat turning. You will reach a point where the engine will start to die out. At that point, back that needle valve out approximately 1/4 turn. Now, go to the other High Speed needle valve and repeat that procedure. At some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest high speed setting (you can now lower the throttle rpm). That will have both high speed needle valves set correctly, and at that point you can lift that center lever adjustment of that high ridge, keeping it lifted until the point is facing the engine, then lower it into its proper position. (When you turn that lever now, you're adjusting both High Speed needle valves at the same time.)<br /><br />(Slow Speed Adjustments)<br />Now, lowering the rpms of course, take the engine out of gear and set the throttle just to where the engine will stay running. Again, in segments of 1/8 turn, slowly start turning in one of the slow speed needle valves, waiting a few seconds between each turning for the engine to respond. As you turn the s/speed needles in, the rpms will increase..... and as it does, lower the rpms to where the engine will just stay running (otherwise the rpms will climb quite high). You will reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mjild backfire). At that point, back the needle valve out 1/4 turn. Repeat the process with the remaining slow speed needle. Again, at some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest setting. When finished, tighten the jam nut somewhat, then remove and reinstall the s/speed knobs correctly (right side up).

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe foor your help, The carbs were removed soaked, cleaned and rebuilt, i do not have adjustable high speed jets, their incorporated inside. I have had the same problem after rebuilding and cleaning two different times and ther has been no change. The diapghram was cheap so i replaced it any way, if nothing else preventative maintenance, but i am still at a loss. If i choke the right barrel it dies as it should, but choking the left gives the better performance..i dont get it..Any input would be wonderful!

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well it had nothing to do with the diaphram in the carb, any other idea's why i have to choke the left barrel to get and performance out it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you have not manually cleaned the high speed jets with a piece of solid steel wire, do so. Do not depend of carburetor cleaning solvent to do that portion of the cleaning job.<br /><br />If the jets are completely clean, inspect the fuel passageways. The high speed passageway pertaining to that left barrel is restricted.

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is an excellent idea Joe, can you explain the wire part a bit, i mean is there a certain kind of wire that might hurt the jet or a better kind to use?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I use what is commonly referred to as "Mechanics Wire".... just a solid piece of steel wire that is substancial in diameter but small enough to pass thru the jet freely. This allows one to scrape the insides of the jet.

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will do that tonight, i have rebuilt them two times and thought i had gotten them clean but i never used wire or anything to actually get in there and get the inside. It's worth a shot i say, not like i do anything but make it better right :)

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WELL, i pulled the carbs apart and did as Mr. Reeves suggested with the wire and i poked every freakin hole i could find, including four little holes in the barrel, What are those for? either way i got her out on the lake this last wednsday and she took off like it never has before. i pickup up another ten miles an hour and was skippin across the lake. But i had to cut my trip short when my fathers 17ft Larson broke her transom and sank. We were able to salvage and all are well. (I think that 90 merc was jeolus i could beat her in a race!)<br /><br />What are the for tiny holes in the carb barrels, my book says nothing about them.