Evinrude 9.9 start/carb problem

jmitc07

Recruit
My Engine initial problem is that it would not start at all unless I open the throttle all the way and it would start however then flood out and the plugs were soaked with fuel. I purchased a new Carb rebuild kit and Fuel pump or mixer and installed both and ended up with the same result. After getting some advise from a co-worker who suggested replacing the Fuel line from the Tank to the engine and the Tank itself. As it turn out I replaced them both and it appears to have resolved the initial problem. However now the engine turns over and will start yet it stalls out and sounds real rough. I played with the adjustmants with no success. Is there a good starting place to set the Carb/throttle/choke to tune or time the engine? Any Help would be most appiciated.<br /><br />thank you <br />Jmitch

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 9.9 start/carb problem

Welcome Jmitch!<br /><br />We'll need to check the cam follower roller. It's that roller that is mounted to the carb and opens the throttle plate when the cam comes around.<br /><br />The cam has a reference mark on it. When the reference mark is centered on the cam roller, the throttle plate should just be starting to open. If not, adjust the cam or roller.....you didn't post a year so it could be either.<br /><br />Usually, the initial starting place for the needle is about a turn and a 1/4 out from GENTLY seated. Let the engine warm to operating temp and adjust the needle in small incriments to get the best idle. This should be done with the boat in the water and in gear.<br /><br />Couple things to check, make sure you got good spark at both cylinders and that the engine is coming up to temp....both very important to a smooth idle.<br /><br />Keep in touch with your progress.

jmitc07

Recruit

Thank you OBJ, it is 1 1990 9.9 Evinrude and I believe it is a roller. I will try your adjustment recommendation later this evening and let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much again!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Jmitc...you will see a little allen head screw on cam follower roller. This is used to adjust the roller in and out to meet the reference mark.