No spark on 175 GT

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another 'no spark' thread. On the motor, I replaced the power pack due to spark on one side. Started the motor, it spat and spudderd, ran a bit, then went on strike and quit. Charged the battery, now it cranks, but no spark at all. Im in the Marine Corps, so I don't have a lot of money to be throwing to repair shops. Can it be the stator, or just the ignition switch? I've been reading the previous no spark threads, and I'm thinking it may be the switch or the battery isn't fully charged. I had a brand new battery when I replaced the pack, and it cranked faster than now. How can I test the ignition switch and kill switch?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No spark on 175 GT

wtg dragula re usmc!!<br />what motor do you have 60 degree or 90 degree model number would help us<br />disconnect key switch connector at motor (big red plug or wire plug with red/yellow wire in it depends on year)<br />crank motor did it spark??<br />need more info to help further

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know if its a 60 or 90 degree. How do I tell? IM pretty sure its a 35 amp system. Where is this big red wire located? left or right side of engine? Is it going into a harness or going straight to the starter? Also, how can I check the rest of the ignition garbage without pulling the flywheel? I've been told it may be a sync & link problem. How do I check the correct timing without it running?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

model will help with identification<br />can you see the flywheel with hood off 90 degree yes 60 degree no<br />red plug plugs into engine harness<br />you can't check timing with no spark - 90 degree 60 degree rquires special tool

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I have a 90 degree. I'll try to find the engine harness tomarrow. I'm going to swap out the battery with a higher cranking amp first. I'll keep you posted.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I swaped out the sissy 500cca battery with a 680 cca battery and it started. Then stopped. Started again, and stopped. I got it going, and ran Johnson/Evinrude Engine tuner can thru the choke solenoid. It kept a consistent RPM, and when I disconnected the can, it shut off. The primer bulb doesnt get rock solid, but its firm. Is it the choke solenoid, or is it getting starved from lack of fuel? Also, lots of white smoke.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

make sure the primer (choke) solenoid is closed<br />try starting motor and pushing in key (activate primer) as it starts to die if it will continue to run you may need to clean carbs if it still dies try squeezing primer bulb post back results<br />p.s. a service manual would be a wise investment

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a clymer. On the choke solenoid, there is a red lever with an inflater valve lookin thing. Which way should the lever be facing? Tip forward or backward? I pushed the choke in, and it just spudderd and stalled.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll try it tomarrow. I'll pick up a fuel primer bulb at walmart tonight, and keep you posted.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got a new primer bulb, made sure all the lines were clamped and sealed, and new plug wires. It starts with the key choke pushed in. I get it in gear and it backfires and lots of oil out prop. I have a few other posts about my VRO. Also there is quite a bit of gas dripping out the carbs. Is it a sync&link? How could I troubleshoot the coils? When I pulled the carbs and had them redone, I didnt do a sync&link because I didnt move the flywheel. Is it timing or a bad coil?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, the brand new primer bulb is soft, and it keeps going flat and running out of gas. The old one is alot stiffer. Should I check for a plugged vent? I couldnt find anything plugged, or just switch out the primer bulb?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Your symptoms point to crud in the carbs ("gas dripping - - "). <br /><br />You can check for the plugged vent or fuel line by disconnecting the fuel line at the engine and squeezing the primer bulb while depressing the small brass ball in the center of the quick disconnect at the end of the fuel line.<br /><br />Have you checked to see if you get a spark (for each cylinder) that will jump a 1/2" gap with a bright blue snap?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have any quick disconnects. both ends are clamped. I had the carbs rebuilt by a local shop. Would it be jetting? I never checked it, just bolted them on.I have a spark. Its hard to check by myself, but is there a way I can hook up a multimeter to the coils to see if they are good? The book says swap ignition coils, but swaping 6 each time is like chasing a rabbit in the woods. When it's tilted up, oil drips out of the bottom carb. Do you think the float bowls are sticking?