P. Trim down not up

sporter

Cadet
I can lower my 1999, 50HP Johnson with the trim switch on the throttle, but not raise it. The trim swith on the engine will raise and lower with no problem. I figure it's the switch but I don't know how to get into the throttle switch, looks like two pieces of plastic joined together with no screws. Help, want to go fishing in the AM.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: P. Trim down not up

If it's a side mount box with warm up lever, pull the box off. On the back is a allen head screw. Losen it about two turns and then with a punch in the middle of the screw head, tap it to free the splines that the lever fits onto. Then pull the screw the rest of the way out and pull the lever free. The rest is pretty much easy....couple little screws holding the lever together.<br /><br />If it's a flush mount, flip the lever over so you can see the bottom. There is a set screw, allen head, that holds the lever to the shaft.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

before ya dissasembel anything check the connector block about 2-4 ft from the box. most had a 3 pin connector and the pins would corrode.<br /> red/white is power,blue is up and green is down.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Good id rodbolt.....I keep thinking pre-deutch connections....... :eek:

sporter

Cadet

Thanks guys that was exactly the info I needed. You saved me $100 plus in labor charges not to mention the time.