90hp 60 degree V4 Johnson- trim no go

snapperman

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a Johnson model BJ90ELEDR, I can not get the trim to work. <br />The list is what I have done<br /><br />Checked all connections <br />I have power to both the control box trim swith and the motor trim switch. I have tried new relays. I can by pass and jump the relays and the trim motor works fine. I have checked all the connections under the cowl and connot find the problem. The relays won't even click. Fuse has been replaced. I have ohms testet all the connections. And cleaned all earths <br />What I did before I had this problem was check the connections as I had no Tach. Also as I had no tach the battery appeared not to be charging, Does anyone know what I can do from here as I am lost. I've even tried a replacement Tach and unwired the trim guage (no luck) :confused: <br />Battery is also charged and starts the motor fine<br />Hope someone can help <br />Thanks <br />Snapperman

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 90hp 60 degree V4 Johnson- trim no go

Try a new fuse if you haven't already. I've seen a few fail at one end rather than in the middle.<br /><br />You probably need a new voltage regulator. The tach is driven by the AC pulses from the alternator under the flywheel. The regulator converts it to DC and controls the output to the battery. If it fails, no signal is produced. They fail from crossed, loose, or corroded battery connections. Could be a different component, but that's the most common by a bunch.<br /><br />I definately think you have two separate problems with different solutions. Good luck.

DHPMARINE

Captain

snapperman,I'd take a good look at all ground connections,especially in the trim solenoid harness and around the voltage regulator.Many times it is a battery - problem,not battery + .<br />Also check the battery - connection on the crankcase.<br />DHP

piniongear

Seaman

I wonder if your trim switch is bad? You state that you have 12V at the switch. How about 12V after the switch? Reason I say this is because I just had a similar problem and it was the up/down switch on my binnacle control lever that went south....piniongear

snapperman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feed back,<br /> Still no joy with getting it going,<br /> I've changed the fuse again. Still no go. <br />I bridged the up relay circuit by taking a positive feed from the relay holder to the blue wire and checked the down function by bridging the positive feed to green wire. This works fine which tells me I have a problem in the wiring harness somewhere in the switching circuit. But where!!

walleyehed

Admiral

Have you pulled the trim harness apart at the engine and made sure all deans pins are in place and clean??? Might try some DC-4 electric compound on the connections...<br />You have a common between the 2 relays that is holding you up on finding the problem, and I don't have my books here to look at...I went through the same ordeal with my 97 115, and I can't remember what I eventually found...I'll search my books tomarrow if you don't have it figured out by then.

snapperman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Kenny, I still can't find the fault. I look forward to hearing what you find out.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Snapperman