'60 Johnson 18 HP Sheer Pin

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got my 18 runnin' real smooth here lately, but do to the mighty Ohio over floodstage here lately haven't been able to tune her in. Got the chance wendsday and went down to the dock. Took her out and was runnin' good but top end trouble. Messed with the high speed jet and got better and better. It was had doing this at top speed so put the boat on the trailer with the motor in the water. Got her up to WOT and played with the needle then VROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM! Broke my sheer pin. No damage to any internals just that lousy part. Model number FD-14 any you fella's got an idea what the sheer pin's part number is, and if NAPA carries it? If not off to the local Bomb dealer (which I really don't look foward to, real a-holes).

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '60 Johnson 18 HP Sheer Pin

All machanic's are real ( a-holes ) when you want something for nothing. Try a piece of brazing rod, 1/4" thick, cut to 1 1/4 long. If it does,nt work, try the (a-hole at the dealer).

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I made one out of a buckle off a guard belt once. <br />Saved a weekend trip and avoided a very long paddling trip.

G DANE

Commander

My advice would be: buy the shearpins. They are cheap and the cast material they are made of will break instead of bending first, damaging hole in propshaft. These few $ are not worth saving. Over here you can get 3 in a little plastic box, so you have a spare. As long as you do not overtighten propnut ( only handtight ) they will last for a long time. I once thought there should be reel torque on that nut and broke a dusin :D

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you guys know of any part #'s? If I go to the dealer they automaticly say "we don't have parts for a motor that old." But if I throw a part number in and show them what I'm talking about, they automaticly say "oh sure, in the parts house." I'm a freshman in college, so I guess you could say I'm a minority, and they don't think I have any knowlege in this area. I've taken apart this motor and know it like the back of my hand, I really don't need their b/s. Reminds me of when I bought my truck. Went in and asked what they wanted for it ('01 Ford Ranger 4.0 litre 5spd. 4x4) and hardly said a word but an outragious price. Took my dad in the next day and they automaticly took him serious and ended up getting a deal to top all deals.... Only payed 10k out the door for the spotless truck with 20k miles. Just don't get it, I KNOW THINGS TOO. :mad:

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

I get the same response from dealers, or used to until I proved to them that they could get the parts if I told them the part numbers! I think they were quite surprised, they obviously don't get many (any!) old motor requests round here.<br />I made a bunch of spare shear pins for my 18hp, go to a model shop (hobby store) that stocks K&S metals, select a length of Brass rod the same diameter as your shear pin and cut it to length, you'll get 4 or 5 pins from a single length of rod.<br />The brass will break before any damage is done to the shaft or gearbox, but is strong enough that it won't break when you don't want it to.<br />If you must have genuine shear pins I think part # 203663 works for your motor.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, do you think that that would be strong enough for 40 hp?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Lark, my 28hp takes the same props as your 40hp so I it ought to be the same pin. OEM manual specs PN 304575 - 1/4" x 1-15/32" Stainless Steel. I'm sure the tolerance isn't that great! :D <br />I simply cut mine from the driveshaft of my parts 28hp, which happens to be 1/4" stainless.

bonvicken

Cadet

OEM Part # 307949, straight out of my '61 Evinrude 18 hp parts manual. My dealer has aftermarket shear pins on hang cards, not behind the parts counter. The have the year and hp range printed on the cards. If your dealer doesn't have these, I'd be really surprised.<br /><br />Get the shearpins and go catch a monster flathead!

Paul Moir

Admiral

I thought that might be it - 307949 measures 3/16" x 1-25/64" and is also made of stainless. Thanks bonvicken - that's been bugging me!

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I hate goin to the dealer but I think thats what i'll go with. Was havin a ball with this thing till it broke. Need to get out and do some fishing while the fail bite is in, because now I honestly can here the whitetails callin my name in the woods! :D