40 HP johnson driveshaft removal

fujiscott2

Recruit
Hi, I recently bought a 1975 johnson 40 hp long shaft. The lower unit was toast so i got another. The problem is that when i took the toasted unit off, the driveshaft stayed attached. The lower unit i have now is a short shaft and i don't want to disassemble it if i don't have to. if i get the long driveshaft out, the new unit will bolt right on and then i can get some boating in before the season is over. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to getting the shaft out?<br />Thanks. Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 40 HP johnson driveshaft removal

The toasted gear case probably has the splines of the drive shaft twisted in the pinion gear. It would'nt be any good if you got it out.

fujiscott2

Recruit

No, the splines from the pinion end are good, the shaft is stuck up in the powerhead. When i took the lower unit off, the driveshaft stayed up in the motor and if i try to just pull it out, it feels like its locked up in there. Is there any clips that hold it in place?

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, it must be corroded into the crankshaft. Try inverting the powerhead, and spraying the shaft with penetrating oil so it runs down it and into the crankshaft spline joint. Give it a day to do it's thing. <br />When you get it out, replace the o-ring and lightly grease the splines before reinserting.<br />The only thing that holds the driveshaft into the lower unit is the water pump impeller key. So once you remove the water pump housing the driveshaft should simply pull out of the lower unit.

fujiscott2

Recruit

Thank you very much Paul, I will give that a shot and hope that does the trick. Will post an update when i get it out. Thanks again.<br />Scott