Sizzling Battery

tglong

Recruit
Tried to start my Evinrude 60 tonight and the starter did not engage. What was worse, the battery starting smoking and burned away the neg post. The wires from the battery to the engine were quite hot.<br /><br />Seems to me like a closed circuit. Could the solenoid be shorting out? Any other ideas? <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Buddy

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sizzling Battery

Hello, Sounds like high resistance and corrosion played a part in your major meltdown. Corrosion in battery terminals and wires will cause the symptoms you are experiencing. I saw a battery once where the negative terminal was so corroded internally that the terminal snapped off of the battery with just a slight tug. I would replace the battery and replace or repair the cables. If they look old and dry cracked 86 'em, if the terminal ends seem to be the only problem crimp or solder new ones on and follow up with some heat shrink tube over the soldered areas. Also check the other connections on your O/B for corrosion as well. The starter terminals, solenoid terminals to name a few. Put everything back together with a dab of silicone electrical grease and tighten it up good and you should be all set.

tglong

Recruit

Thanks! The cables are indeed old and the ends a bit frayed. I'll pick up some new cables and a battery today and give it a try. I'll let you know how it worked out.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the voltage drops due too corrosion the amperage demand from the starter increases.<br />It should have been trying to spin, look for a dead short after the solenoid.<br />There are spray cans of electro aid that leave a thin dielectric film, use them after you get everything cleaned up.

tglong

Recruit

Voodoo,<br /><br />Thanks for the counsel, but you lost me a little. <br /><br />How should I look for a dead short? <br /><br />What's the purpose of the thin dialectric film?<br /><br />Sorry...I'm a novice.

rwise

Captain

disconnect the "hot"lead at the starter, then use an ohm meter and check for a reading on the lead to ground. if you do not have an ohm meter then you can do a visual inspection of the lead between the starter and the solinoid for damage. also look at the starter connection and make certain the post insulator is not melted. if the cable is old and the insulation is falling off it could be the problem.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for melting, aring or discoloration of the wires<br />The film is so the electricity does not react with the ever present water and corrode.

tglong

Recruit

Guys,<br /><br />I do have a meter, and I will pick up some of the electro aid.<br /><br />Thanks!

tglong

Recruit

All right!<br /><br />I replaced the battery cables, the battery, and (for good measure) the solenoid. It fired right up first try.<br /><br />Thanks guys!