prop ?

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
would a prop be the problem in why i am not moving that fast i have a 40hp rude 1966

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: prop ?

Maybe its arthritis, how old are you?? :p <br /><br />We really need a little more information.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

at wop 5500 roms i am only get about 20 21 mph i dont know the pitch of the prop and i dont know where to find it but i would think on a 14 ft fiberglass glastron it would get around 30 35 mph

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Spun prop hub?<br /><br />You could take a marker of some sort and mark both the prop hub and prop itself so the two marks align.... run the motor at WOT for a bit, then check the marks to see if they are still algined. If not, prop hub is spun and needs replacing.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

check and see if your boat is waterlogged, how deep are you running the motor?

walleyehed

Admiral

Before I get nailed again....Is your speedo GPS, paddle wheel, or pitot tube.<br />Question #2, is it reving up higher than normal when getting on plane?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

You are over revving, rpm range for that engine is 4000 to 5000 and these engines don't like to turn faster. What prop are you running? a 12in or 13in pitch would be correct on that boat. top speed should be about 25 to 27 mph.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am running a pilet tube the speedo was on the boat and i put a new tube on it

walleyehed

Admiral

jimmbo, if he runs THAT engine at 4500, it's gonna have more carbon under the rings than you can remove in a year of decarboning..<br />Russ, what I was getting at is I want to make sure you are getting an accurate reading on the speedo.<br />pitot tubes are known for getting a piece of fuzz, moss or crud of some sort in it and reading wrong..matter-fact, it's the most inaccurate there is.<br />Does this engine tend to rev high when coming out of the hole and then drop slightly in RPM after getting on plane???<br />Your RPM is real good at 5500, just want to make sure the prop isn't slipping on the hub.<br />Keep us posted.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

took the speedo out and behold a peice of FUZZ thank you waleyhed