Sticky rings??

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sticky rings??

OK block done, $40 a hole 20 over did it. all welding and repair Total 397$<br /><br />ordered 4 Wiseco Piston 20 over with rings etc.<br />bearing seal kit<br />2 carb kite<br />full gasket kit<br />gel seal for block<br />new needle bearings <br /><br />Damage 571$ eek.. Ok the big day is coming. Im told the hardest thing is putting the block halve back together, did read the manual and I hope it turns out fine...<br /><br />Total 968.. 1000$ after misc. :eek: <br /><br />Any Tips..

bubbakat

Captain

Even with the price of the overhaul you still got a nice rig with a new motor.<br />As for advice just keep on doing what you have been doing. Working and asking questions.<br />These guys are right there beside you turning every nut and bolt.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I feel I am on track.. need a little help on this...<br /><br /> OMC cleaning solvent .. ( for block spit)<br /><br /> OMC locquic Primer ( was told aviation forma gasket.. for block split)<br /><br /><br /> OMC gel seal .. Think I got that with my order<br /><br /> OMC nut lock .. Lock tight right..<br /><br /> OMC grease for needle bearings .. to hold them in.. Regular grease will not be dissolved from the gas. need grease that the gas will remove from needles.<br /><br />Could some one help me with alternatives to theses and or where to get them..<br /><br />Thanks again..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Use the locquic primer on the block halves before applying the gel seal. Use the gel seal sparingly on only one half of the block. All ya' need is a thin even coat. Tapping the coat of gel seal with the finger is a good way to keep it even. And keep it 1/4 inch away from the inside edges of the block half. Just take a paper towel and swipe the inside edges clean after the gel seal is applied. And get all fasteners (bolts), upper and lower heads cleanded with new seals and O-rings and there fasteners ready before hand. Once you put the halves together, you'll want to get the bolts in and torqued in one operation. Be sure to follow torque instructions in manual. The locquic makes the gel seal set faster. So once you start, you'll want to get the job done. Don't worry you'll have time to do it. Just make sure of your steps in assembly before hand.<br /><br />And I'm not so unsure that vaseline petoleum jelly couldn't be used on needle bearings. Just a little will do the job.... :) <br /><br />A medium nut lock from Locktite will also do the same job. Get a small tube. All you'll need.<br /><br />PS....don't use formagasket on the block halves.<br /><br />Keep up the good work hotrod.... :)

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL...I have the locktite primer in the garage.. Imagined that, dad gave it to me to clean the glue off the plexiglass windshield.. LOL dad said "I need this back ..it's expensive"".. Well never returned it..LOL<br /><br />Anyway thanks OBJ for clearing that up for me, I find myself reading and reading the manual and when I get worried or lost you guys are putting the finishing touches on getting me on track.. I can't Thank You all enough again!!! I can't wait to post pictures of the fun times and large fish this thread will bring me once she's all done..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That's what the forums are all about hotrod.<br /><br />Hey, one more thing.....needle bearings....count them before you intstall them. Makes sure you have the correct number for each rod. Nothing like like getting one lost and holdin' up the job :mad: <br /><br />Jim

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is one of the first pictures I took when I pulled the head. The score is up top.. didn't post it because it was blurry. but you can see the rust on the walls and all.. Because the top ring was gone.. Im thinking now I didn't cause this and this motor ran awhile like this.<br /><br />
piston_1828_657448.JPG

G DANE

Commander

If this motor sat for a period, it sat with water or moisture in cylinders, causing the top of sleeve to rust. You are right, maybe some oil could have eased the startup, or the damage could have been there for some time.

G DANE

Commander

I had exactly same problem with a Honda Motorbike, I bought once after it sat for 2 years. It fired right up after battery was charged, The rust in cylinders ended in the ring groves, rings got stuck and broke, scoring 2 cylinders. Result, 4 bored cylinders, 4 new pistons and ring sets, and I was set 1000 $ back.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have the PW.. here are picks of the repairs... <br /><br /> <br />
motor_1864_657448.JPG
<br /> <br /> <br />The big time is approaching.. I know the procedures Like the back of my hand..

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last thing I need.. OMC triple guard grease. I have read that it is the same as regulur bearing grease.. <br />does this seem OK to you guys?

G DANE

Commander

I dont know by you, but here Shell has an equivalent, its called Nautilus (water, heat and vibration resistant grease )

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pistons and crank in!!.. like clock work!! all in spec. Couldn't have done it with (edit) OUT you guy's!! <br />
motor_1891_657448.JPG
motor_1890_657448.JPG
<br /><br />
motor_1889_657448.JPG
That is my back porch..I'm not rebuilding my motor in my livingroom..lol <br />
motor_1918_657448.JPG
<br /> Cowling painted with new decals. awaiting Motor

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did find the OMC gasket seal. removed that question in above post and posted the pics.. Last concern rebuilding the carbs and timing....when the time comes.<br /><br />I AM HAPPY!!lol

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Looks like yer doin' a great job hotrod.....keep up the good work......and thanks for posting like you've been doing. Goes to show what a guy can do with the right mind set..... :D

reeldutch

Lieutenant

where did you get the dacals?<br /><br />i'm doing the same job as you right now.<br />i just made a little mistake, by accident i overtorqed the rodbold so i putted new ones in .<br />i put the crackcase back on the block.<br />cleaned with aceton and used permatex.<br />hope it will seal propper.<br />now i'm putting the exhaustbubble back on.<br /><br />your hood looks very nice.<br /><br />reeldutch

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got them At my marine supply.omc still stocks them 75$. Permitex will not work for the block halves. it needs to be gel seal. look for loctite 518. fix it now. cuz if you suck air it's all over.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Hotrod, I'm proud of you. You have been studying the manual. You'll do just fine!