Slight Oil Leak @ Plastic Fitting On Lwr Cowl

R. Wood

Seaman
'84 1.6l OMC Sea Drive (ie 4 cyl., 115 Crossfow)<br /><br />I noticed that I have a slight oil leak at the plastic 90 degree fitting at the lwr cowl.<br /><br />Current fitting is kinda "mushy" when wrench is applied so so I wasn't able to tighten. May be able to turn a litte to tighten with channel locks but I don't think I can get a full 360 on it to keep 90 deg fitting in current orientation.<br /><br />Leak is only slight (didn't notice any leak when oil primer bulb is squeezed) considering sealing externally with RTV(?) or pulling fitting and replacing with brass straight fitting. <br /><br />Has anyone expierecned similair problem or replaced plastic with brass. Plastic fittings seem like a poor design choice. <br /><br />Any feedback welcomed.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />RK

walsalx5151

Cadet
Re: Slight Oil Leak @ Plastic Fitting On Lwr Cowl

instead of replacing the fitting, why dont u try take it out and put a little lock tight on it. That should seal it up perfect.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Could you elaborate a little on the fitting RW? Can't picture in my mind what it is.....(course the mind ain't what it use ta be :) )

R. Wood

Seaman

The fitting I speak of connects the oil hose from the VRO on the inside of the hood @ the lwr cowl. <br />It fits into a "pipe" (2-3 inches in length?) for lack of a better term that is threaed internally to accept the fitting and externally to mount to lower cowl with nut. On the outside there is another fitting (brass) that connects the oil line to the lwr cowl "pipe". Gas connections the same way.<br /><br />As it turns out, I found out today this is the least of my problems. Althoug I think it is unrelated I found low compression in # 3 cyclinder (1, 2, and 4 @ 120, #3 @ 90). Pulled head and found piston damage, topic of another post.<br /><br />Still will like to hear everyones comments on the fittings though<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

RW....could you post a model number? 84' is pre VRO pumps. The pumps didn't come out till 85 on the larger engines.

R. Wood

Seaman

Engine Model # is 2BAXCR. I recieved two cards with boat literature when we bought money pit, I mean boat, a few years back. Cards indicate model #,serial #, buyer (Georege K. you out there?), date and point of purchase (2/8/84, Stuart Marine in Stuart,Florida).<br /><br />To the best of my knowledge VRO was orginal equipment. Replaced the no wire VRO with a 4 wire VRO and harness kit last year.

ob

Admiral

CR in the model number denotes a 1984 model engine.