Cereal Box Thermostat Housing Gasket?

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read somewhere that I could cut a gasket out of a cereal or pizza box and use permatex to seal it. I need a gasket for my thermostat housing on a 1965 Evinrude 18hp. Is this a good or bad idea?

angus63

Captain
Re: Cereal Box Thermostat Housing Gasket?

Good if it works, bad if it don't. Really bad if it deteriorates and causes a clog, then an overheat, then a seizure. If your gasket is too thick, stat wont seal and do it's job. Seems alot to risk to me!!

Paul Moir

Admiral

It can work, but why not get some gasket material from an auto supply store and make it out of that? Then you'll have much better binders than the cereal box has.<br />I have a roll of paper gasket material, a set of various sized punches and a common hole punch to make gaskets on the fly. They always work well. A supplimental sealant (permatex) is often a good idea, just not around intakes like with manifold or carb gaskets.<br />A trick for transfering the pattern to paper is to cover the surface with paper, and rub the paper with a peice of solder. You get a nice outline of the mating surface that way.<br />Good luck!<br />EDIT: angus has a very good point. Whenever you make your own parts, you must be responsible. I once made a quick test head gasket for a 3hp (no metal ring), but forgot to put the coolant passage holes in it! :eek:

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can buy a roll of gasket material at the local NAPA Auto store but I'm unsure of the thickness. The old gasket is so deteriorated I can't use it as a guide. How thick should the material for the gasket be?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Use 1/32". It covers 99% of the gaskets you'll want to make too. Check with NAPA though - they might have the gasket you need already.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paul, Its information like that which makes this forum such a valuable resource. I will go to NAPA tonight and buy the proper material and cut my own gasket. Thanks so much.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

"The old gasket is so deteriorated I can't use it as a guide"<br />If you don't cut the gasket exactly you may cause damage(eventualy)to your motor.I'm sure there are holes(water passages) in the gasket,etc. in key area's,so if what you say above is true...Is there a Johnny/Rude dealer near you?If not,why not order one online?www.maxrules.com is another source for older parts.