Slow 33 Evinrude

I just purchase my first real outboard a1969 33hp evinrude which has been in storage for 3 years. I bought new gas, mixed it 50:1 and it started right up. However I am not getting many revs out of it. I checked the cables, I closed the choke and I adjusted the lean adjustment which picked it up a bit? can anymore tell me what basic thing I missed? It seems to be running about 1/2 speed.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Slow 33 Evinrude

Could be that you're dropping a cylinder (only running on one cylinder). Try grounding out one spark plug lead and running it, and then compare it to running the other cylinder only.<br />Compare sparks too. Both should be capable of jumping a 1/2" gap. It's much easier to do this test with the spark plugs out if you do not have electric start.<br /><br />Did it run better at full throttle with the choke closed?<br /><br />Also, I don't think you're doing this, but make sure you do not rev that engine in neutral above 1500rpms. It can easily run-away and destroy the engine (and give you a heart attack in the process!). <br />The lean-rich adjustment is for idle speed only. It controls the idle jets in the carb. The main jet (high speed) is fixed.<br /><br />Oh, one other thing - is the armature plate up underneath the flywheel turning with the throttle, or is it stuck?

ob

Admiral

In addition to the good info Paul gives ,I would be very surprised if the carbs on that engine are not fouled with gummy restrictions given the time that it set out of use.With that said ,to caution against a lean carb issue causing a cylinder meltdown I highly recommend dismantling the carbs and giving them a thourough cleaning.Unlike a four stroke engine a two stroke relies on the carburetors for it internal lubrication.Good luck

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1968 33hp and it has adjustable high and low speed jets, first set the low speed at 1 1/2 turns out and the high speed at one turn out, start it up then adjust the low speed in or out which ever makes it run better, if you adjust it in and it starts to cough or dies go the other way just a little at a time, then take it out with some one with you and run wot while you or someone else fine tunes the high speed jet, do the spark checks on the plugs, you can also pull the adjustment needles all the way out and see if there is any varnish on them, pull the bowl off the carb and make sure the needle and seat is clean, and the float adjustment is right. let us know if this helps.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Oh, yeah, my brain isn't working right tonight. Follow ob's and Bass Runner's advice and go after the carb too. Running lean is a quick way to trash the engine.<br /><br />Bass Runner - I had thought the last time they put adjustable high speed jets on any of OMC's outboards was in '63. Thanks for the correction.

Bass Runner

My 68 has them but not sure about 69, but it was stated he was running 50:1 fuel mix mine calls for 25:1 right on the motor i know everyone says anything built after 1965 is 50:1 but mine says 25:1 and that's how ive always run it, might look on the inside of the access door on the cover it will tell you proper plugs and fuel mix or at least mine does these are smoky old motors but are almost bullet proof.

This was my first visit to this site and wow what great support. Thanks for your advice. <br /><br />I was suspect of the 50:1 ratio I am going to try that cure first. <br /><br />The reason I bought this motor which came with a 14 foot Leavens boat and a nice trailer, was to use the motor on another old boat I purchase a 14 foot MFG bowrider tri hull 1976. I am concerned if I go to the work of transferred this unit it may not have the push to move the MFG. I suppose I best pose this question to the forum at large. <br /><br />Happy boating.

Paul Moir

Admiral

All Johnson/Evinrude outboards were switched from 50:1 to 24:1 in 1964, so any built later than that were originally speced for 50:1. I have a '64 OEM manual which clearly states this.<br />Have a look in the right hand column of this 1964 brochure. Click here. I'm afraid this isn't your problem Wass Bay Doug, but doubling up on the oil wouldn't be a bad idea on an outboard that hasn't been run for a long time.

Bass Runner

I said that in my post but my 1968 33hp says right on it to use 25:1 so that's what i did i have hear in several posts that they went to 50:1 in 1965 but i guess it was 64 if that's what your manual says. Sorry.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I hope I'm not coming across as an arse here Bass Runner - I sure don't mean to be! <br />Huh - that's pretty strange about the sticker. 25:1 is the break in mix, but your not talking about that I'm sure. It's not possible that the part that the sticker is on wasn't from an earlier 30-40hp I take it?<br />My 28hp block is basically the same as the 50's 30hp block, but the bearing are all upgraded to rollers (like the wrist pin rod bearings), so it goes to 50:1. (I have found hardly any differences between my '64 block and my '63 block.) Since yours is clearly similair to the late '50s 35hp block, surely it got the same upgrades?

Ah Ha ! for $200. plus dollars we found the problem. The controls were not adjusted properly and the motor was not going all the way into forward gear therefore the throttle would not go all the way ahead. Now I have a fast little 33 which runs at 22 mph on my speedometer.