4hp evinrude stalls

marcleduc

Recruit
The engine runs good for a couple of minutes then stalls. If I keep squeazing the bulb every 30 seconds or so it runs fine. I've changed the hose and fuel bulb,cleanned the fuel filter,cleaned the carb,new plugs,cooling system is ok,tank is venting ok,starts on first pull all the time even after it stalls. any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 4hp evinrude stalls

Welcome to Iboats, Marcleduc!<br />Well, it sounds to me like the fuel pump has gone south or conceivably your pump is sucking air into the line somewhere. The bulb is your handraulic fuel pump. :) <br /><br />What engine are we talking about here? Evinrude's been making 4hp engines since 1917 afterall. :D

marcleduc

Recruit

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Welcome to Iboats, Marcleduc!<br />Well, it sounds to me like the fuel pump has gone south or conceivably your pump is sucking air into the line somewhere. The bulb is your handraulic fuel pump. :) <br /><br />What engine are we talking about here? Evinrude's been making 4hp engines since 1917 afterall. :D
Hi Thanks for the reply Paul; it's a 1991 2 stroke...I have a feeling it's the fuel pump to, I'll order a kit for it. Do you know if there's a test that I can do to make sure.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm not really familiar with the later 4hp engines. But a good general test of the fuel pump would be to remove the fuel line at the carb and pull the starter cord. It should pulse out a bit of gasoline every revolution of the engine. Perhaps others can help.<br /><br /> Excellent late model Johnson/Evinrude 4hp information

marcleduc

Recruit

I rebuilt the fuel pump with a kit and she purrrs like a kitten!<br /><br />FYI * to test your fuel pump do as follow; remove your fuel pump and blow in the inlet...should be able to. now blow in the outlet...should not be able to...if so your pump is bad.