Evinrude 60 dies when put in gear

kyfisherman

Recruit
Yesterday when I was on the lake, my engine (a 91 60 hp Evinrude) slowed down and died and the alarm came on. I let it sit about 30 minutes and started it. I checked the weephole and had water coming out, but when I put it in gear the motor died. It would start and run when in neutral, but when ever I put it in gear to go forward it would die. I then started it and put it in reverse and it ran on low speeds but when I tried to speed up the engine would also die in reverse. Any ideas on what my probl;em is?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 60 dies when put in gear

Hello Ron and welcome to iboats forums.<br /><br />Which alarm came in? The overheat alarm which is a steady tone or the urgent beep beep tone which is the no oil alarm?<br /><br />If the over heat came in, get a compression test right away to make sure no damage was done to the cylinders causing your problem. Even though you had water coming out the weep hole, the t-stat could have failed closed. <br /><br />Just another question, when was the last time the impeller was changed out?

kyfisherman

Recruit

It was the overheat alarm. I have no idea when the impeller was changed, I just bought the boat a few months ago and it is docked on a lake (pontoon boat).

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ron...Might be a good idea to try and find out from the previous owner or pull it out and change out the impeller. It's not a difficult job.<br /><br />Also, as we tell all posters, get a manual for the engine. The OEM's are preferred. The generic manuals can be ordered from iboats, see the bottom of the page.<br /><br />Here's a link for the OEM's.<br /><br /> http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/

NathanY

Commander

I have the same exact motor. Same exact problem. I checked compression right off the bat to find out that #3 only had 5lbs.