1988 40 HP Tilt Aid Cylinder

bw12

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1988 40 hp Johnson OB (J40ELCC8) without power tilt/trim. It is very difficult to raise the engine manually. The parts list shows a tilt aid cylinder (P/N 172908) which I do have on my engine. The cost for a new cylinder is $230, and it looks like the engine needs to be removed from the boat to replace it! Could a worn out cylinder cause this difficulty, and can anyone tell me how easy it is to tilt this engine with a good cylinder?. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 40 HP Tilt Aid Cylinder

Hey bw and welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Yeah....these tilt assist cylinders are expensive. But let's look at a couple things before we go that route.<br /><br />The engine should be farily easy to raise if the cylinder is working properly. There should be a lever there to operate the cylinder from the side of the engine. Shake it back and forth and see how much slop is in the lever before it takes hold. More than a 1/4" is to much. to adjust this, raise the motor all the way up and lock it in the up position. Look on the inside of the starboard transom bracket for a cable from the cylinder with a plastic ball joint connection that conects to the handle. Pop the plastic ball joint off and turn it down on the cable to remove slack from the handle. Try the tilt again and see if that makes any difference. If the plastic ball joint connector is busted, get a new one or the thing won't work right. Also look a the cable and make sure it ain't broken any place and gotten some corrosion in it. Give the above a try and let us know the outcome.....thanks.

bw12

Cadet

OBJ, Thanks for the welcome to iboats. I think my tilt-assist cylinder is a different style than the one you described. Nothing attaches to it. The means of controlling the position the motor stays in is not built into the cylinder. My cylinder looks like it works more like a spring or gas piston, similar to that used on a car hood or hatchback.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well bw...wouldn't be the first time I got it wrong :-O. If the cylinder reminds you of maybe a shock absorber on a car, then that's what ya' got. If on the other hand, it's a fattish looking cylinder with a place on the top port side of it for attachment of a cable, then it's tilt assist.<br /><br />Let's condider it a shock absorber type. These style shouldn't really hinder the lifting of the engine unless the shaft is really buggered up or the it's messed up in the cylinder. May look around and find a used one. What you could try is removing the cylinder and see if that makes a difference. The engine dosen't need to be remove to do this but should be supported in the up position while removing it. Perhaps you may need to lube the fittings around the tilt tube. <br /><br />Keep us posted as to the situation.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also consider this.For a little more, you could get a bolt-on CMC power tilt and trim unit. Then you would really be set up. They sell them here on I-boats and I have heard nothing but great reviews for them. Something to think about....<br /><br /> CMC