1968 3hp Evinrude Lightwin tell tail

alanR1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just out of curiosity, I was given this 3hp rude and I have done the water pump, carb, fuel lines,etc. I can see where the exhaust comes out on the back but I cannot find where the water comes out from the water pump. It has to go somewhere, and more importantly I want to make sure it is pumping water. Any help is appreciated.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 1968 3hp Evinrude Lightwin tell tail

Your motor doesn't have a "tell tale". It should be a mixture of exhaust and water coming out the exhaust hole(s). Sometimes at idle it is a light mist.. try holding your hand in front of the exhaust holes, likely the spray is just too fine to see. Usually at higher rpm's there's more volume. <br /><br />I should say this is how it is on my 2 hp (also with new water pump), I don't have a 3 hp.... but I could tell there is more flow at all rpm's with the new impeller.<br /><br />Now you know why the "tell tale" was a good idea! <br /><br />Brent

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1968 3hp Evinrude Lightwin tell tail

There's no tell tale like modern outboards. You should be getting a mist of water out with the exhaust through the idle relief ports. They're the little holes partway up the leg.<br /><br />If you want to be absolutly sure, look for the flush port. It may be near the base of the tiller handle, and is a large slot screw with a callout. When you crank the engine with the screw out, water should shoot from it. Do not operate the engine with the screw out though, since you're depriving the engine of water without it.<br /><br />EDIT: Pardon, BF - looks like we had the same to say though.<br /><br /><br />I hope this helps!