Proper lower unit oil for 1973 135hp

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manuel says to use some special oil that I don't see in any shops around my area. However I picked up some Pnnzoil Marine High Viscosity Lower Unit Gear Lube. SAE 80w-90. API GL-5 performance.<br /><br />Will this work?<br /><br />Thanks

ob

Admiral
Re: Proper lower unit oil for 1973 135hp

As long as your engine doesn't have electric shifting lower unit it will.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey OB, how can I know if it has electric shift or not? I have to admit I don't know the difference yet.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't think it is Ted. 72' I think was the last year for electric shifts. Yours had a shift assist cylinder in which took place of he solenoids for electric shifts. The Penzoil stuff otta' do.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK! Thank you for the answers. I'll put it in now. I'm doing a general lube to get ready for the season.<br /><br />Ted

ob

Admiral

If I'm not mistaken the hydraulic shift assist lower units took premium blend or Type C lubricant.Perhaps someone can clarify.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it calls for Type C but what is that?

ob

Admiral

In short ,type C is a thinner less viscous lube.A hydraulic assist lower gear case has an oil pump unlike a straight mechanical shift.I personally just can't confirm which type of gearcase your engine is fitted with,but I know that running the wrong lube is going to lead to problems.

SCO

Lieutenant

I have the same motor and use the standard stuff for lower units from academy. Works fine so far( approx 3 years). Mine is entirely mechanical. I think the original callout is for hypoid 90 wt. You should be fine if manual shift. My johnson service manual doesnt say anything about a hydraulic shift for 73 to my recollection. I'll check the manual this eve. I think the electric shift would be obvious.Do they have a special control box w/o the mechanical linkages? I can shift mine without the battery being connected.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems to me that it's just mechanical, but I really don't know for sure. I'll be interested to hear what you find SCO.

SCO

Lieutenant

Since OB was able to predict the type c oil, I will probably be found mistaken. We need to check the motor serial number to be sure of the year and model might have the info we need. I'll post my info tonight.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I doubt it SCO, I've run mine (1973 135HP Evinrude) on high vis oil for years. The original service manual said Sealube, not "C".

D

DJ

If there are two cables (throttle and gear shift) running from the control box to the engine, it's a Powershift II. <br /><br />Hi Vis.

ob

Admiral

Here's a quote I found on a search from Mr. Joe Reeves.I can't be sure of what type lower unit is incorporated in your engines lower unit without knowing more info.To recommend otherwise would be careless on my part.<br /><br /> Electramatic/Selectric shift=Premium - Hydro Electric shift=Premium - Shift Assist=Premium - Mechanical Shift (all)=Hi-Vis.<br /><br />Bottom line is that Premium blend is required on the OMC lower units that incorporate a oil pump, or on the early model straight electric shift (Electramatic/Selectric) units.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The 1973, 135 is a manual shift with hydraulic assist, Hi-Vis is the proper lube, the newer HPF will also work.

SCO

Lieutenant

Got some answers. My service manual is for model 135ESL73. There is only one geartrain exploded diagram, it s called power shift II. The call out for lube is OMC sea lube gearcase lubricant and says also"previously OMC type c lubricant". In looking at the exploded diagram, I compared with a CLymers manual because Clymers has a diagram for a "Mechanical " and another diagram for a "hydro-mechanical" gearcase. THe 135esl73 is clearly a Hydro-mechanical type gearcase primarily because it has a gear type oil pump, while the purely mechanical doesnt have the oil pump. So, I also now have the question of what modern brand product should I be using in the lower unit? Again, have been using high vis with no problems for 3 years. It is one great running motor.

ob

Admiral

Interesting bit of info SCO and does leave one with a bit uncertainty as to the recommended lubricant on the engine in question.Hi-Vis obviously has caused no problems on the gear oil pump in your case.Just wonder if it has had any effect on the operation of the shift assist feature ,baring in mind that it is just an assist to the shifting linkage.I'm not even clear on the viscosity difference from Hi-Vis to type C lube.