Fly wheel needed! 87 225 looper

Bogart

Seaman
I need a fly wheel and cant find a good used one!<br />(edit)<br /> Thanks Bogart.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fly wheel needed! 87 225 looper

Hi Bogart.<br /><br />You can try an iboats Boating Want Ad, or you can try www.twincityoutboard.com<br /><br />Or, you can watch eBay.<br /><br />One or another will produce a flywheel for you.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You might try Trixie's Marine in Bayville, NJ also.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Make sure your replacement comes from a 1986 or 87 V6 looper. <br /><br />Why do you need another one?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh, the flywheel from a 1985, 86 or 87 standard rotation V8 is the same also.

Bogart

Seaman

Dhadley the 1st fly wheel when i purchased the motor was in bad shape all the magnets were loose<br />I tried to epoxy! and some missing teeth<br />so I bought a referbished one last year from Omc<br />it was alot of $$$$$ well I have only 30 hours on it when I was goind 20 knots coming home<br />and the engine died!!!<br />I had to get a tow. I thought it was a power pack! any ways when I pulled the fly wheel I noticed all the outer magnets were good but the small inner circle that goes around the <br />crank shaft was all burned up!! ( what could cause this) so I put another fly wheel on that my mechanic had on another customers motor<br />and I had spark again! so I need a fly wheel<br />my motor is a 2.7 litre sea drive looper 1987.<br /><br /> Thanks Bogart.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Usually when the center magnet comes loose it ends up burning a piston.<br /><br />Anyway, if you cant find one, the center magnet can be reglued if the magnet itself is OK. There are a couple of places in the country that have the "map" to put it back on.<br /><br />You might try a longshot -- contact Bombardier and explain the situation. Even though Bombardier is not responsible for warranting parts that OMC sold, they may -- may -- offer a special price. Who knows?<br /><br />Also you might call Jack at Superior Marine at 800-338-9281. He may have one.

Bogart

Seaman

The magnet it self lookes good its the glue<br />around it that is all burnt up it must have a ground<br />somwere in the magnet do u know what could of caused this!!?????<br /><br /> thanks Bogart.

Bogart

Seaman

BUMP anybody have one laying around!!!

Bogart

Seaman

Dhadley! I left a message he did not answer!<br />I found one on Ebay part # 583374 225 rude<br />is this compatible????????<br />2.7 litre looper is part # 583281!?<br />motor is a 1987<br /><br /> Thanks Dhadley<br /><br /> PS the price on ebay is 50.00$

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats not a good part number. It may be a casting number. You need to ask what year it was off of. <br /><br />With the wrong flywheel its possible to smoke a piston. I wouldn't trust something I couldnt verify what it came off of.

Bogart

Seaman

Thanks Dhadley Ill keep looking!<br />theres no contact info on Ebay to call the guy<br />to find out more info! Ill try your guy again in the morning! do u know the ######## compatible with my 2.7 litre sea drive looper 1987???????<br /><br /> Thanks Bogart

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The part number? Well yes, I do know it. Thanks for asking!<br /><br />Oh -- I bet that would help if you knew too! 583281 ss to 583969.

Bogart

Seaman

Thanks Dhadley!!!! what does the ss stand for????<br /><br /> Bogii.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Superceed. The part number was changed.

Bogart

Seaman

Update Dhadley!!!there is a reason behind the inner<br />magnets burning up!! when we took off the fly wheel looking closer! I noticed that the round plate holdind in the crank shaft with 8 bolts in it was loose leaking oil all over! and one of the bolt heads was missing! sheered off?????<br />and sucked up into the fly wheel??????<br />Im getting scared now<br />so I have to take it apart down to the upper crank shaft seals to investigate!!!! also u said it usually scores a piston when the inner magnet<br />goes! so I should take off the head while am at it!!???? the starboard side usally goes 1st <br />right!?????so should I check that!!!???<br />also what would cause this???<br />I did not feel any vibration like the crank shaft was trying to jump out of there!<br />Im puzzeled!???<br /><br /> any ideas???<br /><br /> Thanks Bogart.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Its not common for those bolts to back out but its not unheard of either. That top cap (bearing housing) will come straight up without having to split the block and crankcase. Go ahead and get it off and see if the bearing dropped.