6hp Evin, no hot start

pogosmoke

Recruit
I have a 6hp 1987 Evrinrude Yahctwin, Ive only had it about 6weeks and it ran fine always started on first pull, I took it out and motored for about 3 hours with my 25ft Hunter sailboat and it wouldnt start when I got ready to go back. Now it will start when its col after it sits for a few or hours or even a week when it does start you have to keep it throttled up pretty high and it idles very rough. After running it for any amount of time if you throttle it down it will die and will not crank or barely turnover. ?????? I have it on my backporch now not knowing what to do with it. I tried checking the spark by laying the plugs up against the block I couldnt get it to spark tho. The plugs are new. I dont understand why it wil crank if its cold but I cant get it to spark? :confused:

D

DJ

Re: 6hp Evin, no hot start

"will not crank or barely turnover. ??????"<br /><br />Do you mean it is difficult to pull the rope as if the engine is siezing?

pogosmoke

Recruit

no it pulls fine but it just wont start, now its like im getting now spark at all it wont turnover or nothing???

D

DJ

No start, when hot, is sometimes attributable to faulty ignition coils.

pogosmoke

Recruit

this sounds like it could be the problem. would it make it idle rough? what are the chances that both coils would go out at the same time? im definately getting no spark now.

D

DJ

It could definetely make it run rough. The chance of both are pretty good, especially if it got overheated.

pogosmoke

Recruit

do these just bolt on? while im changing them is there anythign else i should go ahead and order and change also?

D

DJ

I do not recall if your engine has points or not. If so, do those too.