V-6 OMC

boatmanwayne

Seaman
Help if you can, I have a 1984 150 V-6 OMC. The engine starts and runs good up to 3100 rpm, then it just loses all fireing, but when you slow down a little it takes off and does just fine, but not over 3100 rpm. I've checked cranking output to the ignition coils per the manual, the readings are slightly low, Does this stator have the low and high speed windings and maybe too weak at higher speeds? I've also checked for grounded or loose wires and can't find any bad signs yet. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks BMW

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: V-6 OMC

Are you firing on all cylinders under a load? What do the plugs look like after this happens?

boatmanwayne

Seaman

Rick, Yes it does fire on all six under load, I have a test wheel on it and have it on trailer in water and can rev it up to 3100 rpm sounds fine, then a little more and its just like your turning the key on and off. I thought the stator was losing out on the high side.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The reason I ask about the plug condition is that if you have good spark on all 6, then it may be fuel related. A look at the plugs may tell alot.

boatmanwayne

Seaman

Oh, sorry, forgot to tell about the plugs, theres not any color as they are new, but they do come out oily/wet, I've even choked this when it starts misfireing but no help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Check the compression is all I can come up with right now. Good spark, carbs clean and fuel present, compression= good running. Could be the timing plate is not moving as it should. Have someone move the throttle forward while you watch the timing plate for smooth advance and full advance at full throttle. Just trying to rule out the basics before you get into the electrics. Maybe others have more ideas.

boatmanwayne

Seaman

Happy day, I came up with a used stator, swapped them out, viola, problem gone. Now she'll cruise right at 5800, I mean fly.<br /> Thanks Rick for the help, its good to know help is around if needed, thanks again, BMW

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got her going! Those stators can be a pain to diagnose. That's why I was so concerned about spark under a load. Happy Days are here again..