Help Help for do it yourselfer

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
How do you check at home the Following to determine which is defective<br /><br />Power pak<br /><br />Charge coil<br /><br />sensor coil<br /><br />Ignition coil

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Help Help for do it yourselfer

i use the manul, you should look into one if you dont, they explain all of that in detail

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I have a manual by Intertec, It gives an ohmms rating for the charge coil only and very little else, I have a Johnson J8RCUD it runs but not good It does not want to rev up without running rough

phatmanmike

Captain

more likely fuel related than electrical related....i think, i am no professional, just my 2 cents

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Aha!!<br /><br />So you do have a Johnson engine, and you have a problem.<br /><br />Your engine is a 1987 8HP, Bill.<br /><br />It probably is running on one cylinder, if I understand what running "rough" is. If that is the case, I think you are on the right track, looking into the ignition system.<br /><br />Give us more on what you have done and what has led you to what you are asking now.<br /><br />Moving this back to JohnnyRude troubles.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

Ok here we go<br />new plugs set at .035<br />The charge coil tested at 460 ohms so I installed a new one (book said 500 to 650)<br /><br />It starts better & runs nice a smooth at idle but does not want to rev up without a lot of hesitating and coughing first.<br /><br />Ran sea foam thru carb and got a bunch of goo in the test tank. Seems to run a little better.<br /><br />I want to know how I can tell if Power pak is bad. I installed a pak from my 87 evinrude 6hp and it seemed to run a little better<br /><br />Disassembled carb and gave it a good cleaning and a repair kit<br /><br />I did not remove the reed valve assembly to check, sorry <br /><br />lastly I cannot get lower unit off to change impellor, it is stuck on there, how do I get that off? Book said remove three screws and out it comes, gotta be a trick to that...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Bill<br /><br />Shift lever should be in forward. Remove the screw just below the point where the engine pivots. Remove 2 screws at the rear of the zinc anode. There is no shift shaft screws to remove, so it's just stuck on there. You will have to get a block of wood and tap it off at the cavitation plate. You may have to use more than a "Tap", but I just didn't want you to get carried away. They can get stuck on there pretty good, though. Give it a try and see how it goes. More than likely the drive shaft is hanging up.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I have tried and still cannot get the lower unit apart, Right now I have the motor upside down and have squirted a half a can of WD-40 into the exhaust port hoping to get it to run down the drive shaft to the power head. I hope I am not doing anything wrong.<br />Any other suggestions for getting that lower unit off???