1987 Evinrude 175 V6 Not Starting

joe_morgan

Seaman
Re: 1987 Evinrude 175 V6 Not Starting

Rick or anyone, can I please ask why one doesn't use a metal clamp on the fuel line? What is the benefit of the cable tie.<br /><br />Cheers<br />joe

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

jacob,<br /><br />My 1987 200 HP Johnson is a little hard to start when it is cold. Before I leave the house, I take the cover off and put the little red lever into the manual position and pump the bulb. You can hear the gas going in. After I pump it 7-8 times I put the lever back down and make the 3 mile venture to the boat ramp. The motor fires up as soon as I hit the key. I never have gas come out the front of the carb unless the motor is tilted up pretty high. If your motor does this tilted down, this is a sign of a sticking needle and seat. Try spraying some premix gas into your spark plug holes and it should try to crank immediately. If it does, you have found your problem. Good luck.

dpdevil16

Recruit

Joe, the reason you don't use hose clamps is because the little grooves in the strap of the clamp dig into and damage the hose. A hose clamp works by shortening the length of the strap. By doing so, the strap is forced the rub along the hose. When pressure is applied to rubber hoses, excess rubber bulges through those grooves and when the strap glides along it shears pieces of rubber off. A snap-ring has no grooves which thus does not let excess rubber bulge through it. It also does not rub against the hose as it works strickly by pressure gained by squeezing the ends together. This squeezing force is straight down perpendicular, not lateral, to the hose surface.